IN

2 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 1 of 2

Update BIOS with dead battery

2019-05-18, 18:54 PM

I have a ThinkPad T420s.

How do I update my bios with dead battery ?

I tried :

• Flashing the bios folder to USB in FreeDOS mode and running on the boot gives something like "unsupported file/can't run".
  • Normal update using the included BIOS update utility which always stops at battery check.

Some of my other questions :

• After a clean install of win 10, the WiFi card - Intel Advanced n-6205(original) and the battery indicator stopped working.
  • What would happen if I delete the OEM partition of my hard drive ?
  • What happens to my laptop if I replace the hard drive with a new one if it has s.m.a.r.t. problems(the new drive does not have the OEM partition) ?
  • When I install Ubunutu 19.04 on the other partition(OEM is still there) the laptop shows no OS found. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del for restart.

Any help ?

Options

619 Posts

08-02-2018

US

302 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Update BIOS with dead battery

2019-05-21, 0:45 AM

Hi kogam22!

Thanks for posting in the Community,

If you're trying to update the BIOS of your laptop, with it only relying to the power source since the battery is faulty, the BIOS update won't be able to proceed. It is a prerequisite when installing BIOS update.

For the other questions,

1. After installing of a clean version of Windows, it is recommended to update the drivers. You can download them here,

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t420s/downloads

2. If the OKR partition has been deleted, it will also affect the Operating System Installed.

3. Replacing the HDD with the same part model is fine. The only thing is that it is blank, so you need to install an OS for it boot.

4. Here is our Linux Certification for Personal Systems https://support.lenovo.com/cr/en/solutions/pd031426 Other than those listed are not compatible to run Linux OS in their laptops.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save