Options

276 Posts

10-28-2016

US

471 Signins

2554 Page Views

• Views: 2554
  • Message 1 of 4

Updating the firmware on T480 SSD with 1TB drive must I decrypt and remove HD PW?

2019-06-28, 13:50 PM

I have a Thinkpad T480 with the Lenovo installed 1Tb SSD.

The drive details read as follows:  SAMSUNG MZVLB1T0HALR-000L               3L2QEXA7

From the readme tool, I beleive the Firmware update s/w offered via Lenovo Vantage tool
will update the firmware on this drive to a newer level:  5L2QEXA7

The Readme file has some notes that are a little hard to understand, and obviously I don't want to screw this up:

the notes say:

D) Need to Remove HDD Password when could not FW update.

E) Need to decrypt when you do not get successful to update FW on encrypted SSD.

I realize the update tool covers many different SSDs.

For my configuration do I need to be concerned about removing the password?
I set the password when I received the machine with the understanding that setting the password ALSO encrypted the drive.

I hope that I understood that correctly....

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Options

10495 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39280 Signins

406202 Page Views

• Views: 406202
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Updating the firmware on T480 SSD with 1TB drive must I decrypt and remove HD PW?

2019-06-28, 14:46 PM

The drive has hardware encryption so if there were no password, someone could put the SSD into a housing and read the data with no restrictions.  If it were mine, I would ALWAYS remove a HD password before updating the firmware so that if there were any sort of problem, I could put the drive into a housing or into some other machine to get my data.  I would remove the password, update the firmware, boot into windows and make sure all was well and then put the password on again.  I would do this regardless of what the readme file said.  I would also make sure I had a good backup before I started.  I always keep firmware current, but I would rather be careful before the update.   

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

276 Posts

10-28-2016

US

471 Signins

2554 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re: Updating the firmware on T480 SSD with 1TB drive must I decrypt and remove HD PW?

2019-06-28, 15:20 PM

Thanks Rich!

That seems prudent.

I'm traveling now, I'll make full B/U when I get home, nix the PW then apply the update!

I'll post the results!

Jim

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Options

276 Posts

10-28-2016

US

471 Signins

2554 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2019-07-29, 1:06 AM

Rich:

thanks for your help.

I just got off the road for a bit ....

Imaged the drive removed the power-on & drive passwords,

rebooted installed the update and all went OK.

On the first reboot for some reason the mouse-buttons did not work ... I don't know what that was about,

but after another reboot all was well.

I appreciate your advice!

Jim

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save