Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,719
Message 1 of 12

Upgrade T450 screen to 1080p

Hey,

I bought a Thinkpad T450 back in November and really like the specs with one MAJOR exception and that's the screen that the laptop has come with. It's astoundingly bad. They didnt offer a 1080p IPS display so I went for a HP+ 1600x900 display as a sort of temprorary option, because I know that if I got a 1260x724 I'd have to invest in a new connector pin.

The issue is when I went to ask an IT shop how much it would cost to just replace the screen they told me my Laptop wouldnt support a 1080p IPS screen and it would just be blank saying they've had this issue before. I've seen that people have done it on the internet so I don't really know who to go with here. I suspect they may have tried to go from 724 to 1080p which would explain it. Does anyone have any experience with this and if it is possible to upgrade is there a difference between a t450 and t450s 1080p screen  and would either be compatable with each other?

As a note they offer my EXACT laptop with a 1080p screen now so again any info I may be missing here regarding why it wouldnt be compatable would be appreciated. Aren't these laptops supposed to be upgradable? It's the whole reason I bought it..

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,666
Message 2 of 12

Re: Upgrade T450 screen to 1080p

It looks like they only offer the FHD screen on the "S" model. Having said that, I cannot guarantee it will work, but I would GUESS that it would. They use the same BIOS. Note that if you have any warranty left, replacing the screen would likely void it. Note that the T450 series machines seem to have a custom eeid image and people who have replaced screens using aftermarket panels have reported that brightness controls no longer work.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,662
Message 3 of 12

Lenovo offer 1080p on the T450 in Europe, I don't know if its the same in the US. They only started doing this a month ago (much to my annoyance)

At this point I'm switching the screen or the Laptop becasue this screen is atrocious.

I'm seeing that brightness issue around the forums too and that would be a big deal for me, so I'm really unsure over how to procede with this but other people say it works perfectly. I'm not sure where the differences lie.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,659
Message 4 of 12

I think the difference between the ones where the brightness works vs. doesn't work is the working ones have Lenovo custom eeid images.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,651
Message 5 of 12

Cool, I'll try to look for that then. Do you know if Lenovo sell the part on that spare parts site they have?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,647
Message 6 of 12

I don't know. A million years ago, I used to flash the chips in 1600X1200 IPS panels used on T60 machines. The panels were made by IDTECH (IBM) and were VERY expensive and hard to find. The exact same panels were used on older machines, but the eeid was empty. The "older" panels were very cheap because the models that used them had a lot of motherboard problems. I would buy the cheap panels and turn them into the expensive ones by writing an image to the chip. Maybe, one day, I'll make an adapter to connect to the current 30-pin screens if the issue becomes more common.

Rich

nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,641
Message 7 of 12

Jesus.. that sounds complicated. I'm really only good at literally taking computers apart. But it does sound like a nice workaround. Get two really cheap ones and try that. I'd be genuinely interested to hear the results. I think its a bit ridiculous that such a workaround should even have to be found to be honest, this apparently used to be a fair bt easier.

displejcz
What's DOS?
Views: 7,265
Message 8 of 12

yes you can put FULL HD IPS or TN instead of HD or HD+ but becareful if you buy not from LEnovo your backlight regulation wont work.

raegis
What's DOS?
Views: 7,105
Message 9 of 12

I just did this on a used T450 which came with a horrible 1366x768 screen.  According to dmidecode, the "Product Name" is 20BV0005US, so I got a 1080p screen in the "THINKPAD T450 20BV SERIES" from Screen Country.  Item ID: 534911655.  It works fine.  Be sure to use the model number on your T450 to get the best match possible.  I bet it will work.

Jcam7
Paper Tape
Views: 4,940
Message 10 of 12

Im interested in this upgrade for the t460 to change the tn hd screen by a full hd , is it possible? Thank you

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors