Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dorianglass
Paper Tape
Views: 2,318
Message 1 of 7

Upgrade compatibility for Windows 10 for Lenovo ThinkPad T520

Hi Guys,

My current Lenovo ThinkPad is a T520, type 4240, s/n *******, Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

When attempting to upgrade to Windows 10, the process stops me by ticking off the main boxes EXCEPT for my display, which the message says is incompatible and that I need to contact the manuracturer.

Is this a common / expected problem with my specific ThinkPad, or, is something amiss with my ThinkPad?

What do I need to do to upgrade to Windows 10 with this specific ThinkPad?  Am I able, in fact, to upgrade to Windows 10 with this specific model of ThinkPad??

Warm thanks in advance,
Dorian

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,294
Message 2 of 7

Re: Upgrade compatibility for Windows 10 for Lenovo ThinkPad T520

Hello

If you mean not Nvidia graphics adapter with Optimus feature, but LCD itself, issue looks a bit strange.

What if to remove display and its driver from Device Manager? Windows 7 will install default display driver. Then perform Windows 10 upgrade and apply Lenovo display INF file for win10.
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T52...

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

dorianglass
Paper Tape
Views: 2,275
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

You make a good point, sorry, I should have been more explicit :-).

It was not the "physical" monitor I don't think, that was the problem, but, rather, to your point, the actual driver which was the issue.  To assist you with information around this, the driver listing under "Display Adapters" in Device Manager is as follows:

- Intel(R) HD Graphics Family [Version 8.15.10.2358, dated 2011/09/26 ]

- NVIDIA NVS 2400M [Version 10.13.18.5445, now updated to 2015/11/05 via automatic online update (see below)]

Two pieces of info. which may further assist your understanding around this issue:

1.  As mentioned above, I updated the NVIDIA NVS 2400M driver to the latest version via the "search automatically" feature in Device Manager.  However, that still did not allow me to upgrade to Win's 10.  The same incompatibility message came up.
2. The Intel(R) Graphics Family driver was, according to the Device Manager "search automatically" feature, already the latest driver.

Strangely, I also found a third driver under "Display Adapters" in Device Manager called "LogMeIn Mirror Driver",  version 7.1.542.0, which is dated 2006/05/22.  Note that I used to have "LogMeIn" software on my computer quite a while back which I uninstalled in favour of TeamViewer.  Is this LogMeIn driver linked to that previous LogMeIn software, or, does LogMeIn supply a driver to Lenovo for its displays, which seem rather unlikely?  Could this LogMeIn driver be the problem, do you think, especially since it dates back to 2006 (?!) (I bought my ThinkPad in 2012).

SHOULD I THEREFORE UNINSTALL THIS "LOGMEIN" DRIVER IF YOU THINK THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE THERE?

Hopefully now having clarified that it's the display driver, rather than the physical monitor, that seems to be what is causing the problem, do you perhaps have a more confident idea of what the problem may perhaps be?

I'd very much like your updated opinion based on the above information I've just supplied before I try your previous suggestion of uninstalling the current NVIDIA driver.  In the interests of prudency, I'd much rather obtain the most informed understanding as possible, via your expertise, before I go ahead and uninstall the current driver :-).

Thank you so much for your time!

With kind regards,
Dorian

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,262
Message 4 of 7

That LogMeIn driver doesn't relate Lenovo sw. It's a part of remote monitoring sw.

I heard there is a difficulty to remove this driver. Is there any entry LogMeIn related in the installed programs applet (in the control panel)? If "no", remove the driver in the device manager with its removing from the system, completely. I hope the virtual device will not appear again after hw rescan or laptop reboot.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

dorianglass
Paper Tape
Views: 2,255
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for confirming that "LogMeIn" was indeed from past software (i.e. non-Lenovo sw) that I had installed on my machine some time back.

I've therefore uninstalled LogMeIn via the Device Manager (it was not listed in Programs or anywhere else)  and will again shortly try to upgrade to Windows 10.  Hopefully I'll be successful this time.

If this next attempt does not work, then I'll try your other suggestion about uninstalling the display driver and allowing MS to install it's own one as part of the upgrade process to Windows 10.

Will revert back to you shortly.

Txs again, Dorian.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,249
Message 6 of 7

The links below might be helpful:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103822
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535#addition

Do not forget to remove the apps unsupported.
Also, I'd suggest, reinstall win10 from the scratch after win10 upgrade. It'll keep the activation but free the system from the incompatible trash.

dorianglass
Paper Tape
Views: 2,243
Message 7 of 7

Excellent, thanks for the added advice!

Chat shortly,

Dorian

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors