cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hillwilly
What's DOS?
Views: 5,524
Message 1 of 12

Upgrade non-backlit Keyboard T450s to a backlit?

I have a T450S that came with a standard keyboard.  If I bought the Lenovo FRU backlit keyboard and installed it, would it work?  Or is there something different about a system board or machine that was originally configured by Lenovo for a standard keyboard?

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,497
Message 2 of 12

Re: Upgrade non-backlit Keyboard T450s to a backlit?

It will work

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
aiace96
What's DOS?
Views: 5,172
Message 3 of 12

Same problem but order just placed not yet delivered: can I get the review of the order and added the backlid keyboard to it?

ordered in EU order number: 12208382962

payment via bank transfer, will be processed next week

cheers,

FP

hillwilly
What's DOS?
Views: 5,166
Message 4 of 12

I doubt that you could change your order at this point.  Perhaps you could cancel the order, and then place a new one??

In my case, I did not realize my mistake until I had the machine in my hands.  So there was nothing I could do.  HOWEVER:  I was able to find the Lenovo FRU number for the backlit keyboard that I *should* have specified.  I went to eBay and was able to buy a NEW one very cheaply!  I think it was about $30 US.  I ordered it, and am now typing on it.  In addition, this is a Lite-On keyboard, and I think it's better (has better feel) than the one I replaced.

You should not do this if you are not comfortable working on laptop hardware.  It was not difficult, but just a bit trcky getting the new one properly positioned.

Good luck.

aiace96
What's DOS?
Views: 5,158
Message 5 of 12

thank for ebay suggestion, hope they can fix my mistake, when reviewing the order wasn't specified that the keyboard had not backlid.

to cancel the order and block the payment is too complicated in our organisation... you can guess why.

:-(

There is any issue on insurance when it is  substituted a part of the original thinkpad?

hillwilly
What's DOS?
Views: 5,155
Message 6 of 12

I honestly do not think it affects the warranty.  In order to swap the keyboards out, it only requires:  Removing the external battery from the bottom in order to remove two screws.  The rest of the process is done with the laptop right-side-up.  There are no warranty seals broken or anything, so I don't think it would be noticed if you had to get warranty repair.

I found some great help by googling something like "T450s keyboard replacement".  There is this one page from Lenovo that gets you started:  http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd100549.

But I found some great additional help at reddit.com:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/35db9r/t450s_and_keyboard_frus_the_liteon_part_is/

In addition to some great installation help, you will also find the Lenovo FRU numbers for both the Liteon and Chicony versions of the keyboard.  I recommend the Liteon.

BTW, I love this machine!  I normally run linux on it, but I have dual-boot to Windows 10 set up as well.  And I'm really happy that I now have the backlit keyboard.

will25u
Paper Tape
Views: 5,002
Message 7 of 12

I just replaced my non-backlit keyboard to a backlit one I bought from ebay but the backlit is not working. Did you configure anything else other than installing the keyboard and pressing Fn+Spacebar to activate?
hillwilly
What's DOS?
Views: 4,974
Message 8 of 12

When I got mine, I wondered about that too.  But there is nothing you need to do other than installing it properly.  The backlit keyboard will have the symbol on the spacebar indicating that it is backlit.  You just press Fn-Spacebar, and it comes on.  Toggle through three brightness levels and then back off.  If yours is not working, then maybe it is defective, or you didn't get that tiny ribbon cable connector fitted snugly into the connector?  I'm not sure.  The one that I bought on eBay came from a reseller in China, and it has the correct FRU number and was clearly a brand new Lenovo part.

will25u
Paper Tape
Views: 4,971
Message 9 of 12

I tried reconnecting it and have the correct fru with backlight icon. I guess I got a defective keyboard. Thanks for the help.
rtmd55
What's DOS?
Views: 4,807
Message 10 of 12

Could someone please share the FRU for the backlit keyboard from LiteOn for the 450s?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors