cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 521
Message 11 of 12

Re: Upgrade to XP from DOS in Thinkpad T500 ?

1. Legally, That disc is only licensed for use on a Dell machine, not a Lenovo machine. In practical use you will need a separate license key to install with the Dell disc anyway as the Dell disc will not see a Dell BIOS so it will not use the Dell license key built into the disc. Besides, Using an incorrect OEM disc will usually result in problems since the OEM modifies the disc to suit their equipment such as modified or added drivers,dll's, etc.

2. Now that I have explained why using the Dell disc is technically a bad idea. Using a Dell disc on a Lenovo is bordering on software piracy and that will not be tolerated on this board. Please do not discuss the Dell disc any further or this thread will get locked.

I would get either a Lenovo disc or a regular Microsoft disc. Yes, Microsoft provides very good discounts for students. Go to the book store and buy XP there. The license is what costs all the money. The disc just comes along with it since the disc is useless without the license.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 518
Message 12 of 12

Re: Upgrade to XP from DOS in Thinkpad T500 ?

Dell's single disc are just an OEM OS disc, it doesn't come with any drivers or software, it is exactly the same disc as the one you get from the store. It is not activated and you have to call Microsoft and pay a license fee to get it activated. Dell also have a recovery media that comes in many discs like those of Lenovo's recovery media, which are activated and ready to use in Dell's laptop. HP/Compaq also have the same disc package system. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors