cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 97,179

Question

My personal laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad T500, and its main specifications as follows:

- Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2).

- 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM).

- ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 with 256MB.

I really need to upgrade the RAM in order to work with SharePoint 2010 and Windows Server 2008 R2. 

* How many memory slots do I have in my Lenovo ThinkPad T500 ???

I read on (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-55644#t) that the maximum memory size for T500 is 8 GB.

So, in case if my Lenovo ThinkPad T500 laptop has only two memory slots, then, I will have to buy 2 pieces of ThinkPad 4GB PC3-8500 DDR3 Low-Halogen SO-DIMM, and replace my existing 2 X 2GB modules in order to get the 8 GB?

* How easy is it to install/remove RAM in Lenovo ThinkPad T500 ???

Is there a diagram or video online that can show me how? 

Answer

The T500 only has two RAM slots, so upgrading to 8GB would mean that your existing two 2GB modules would need to be removed.  You could keep the 2 X 2GB modules if you wanted to return to a 4GB config in the future, used in other systems, or potentially sold online.

T500 Memory slot.jpg

Replacing the RAM is simple; remove the four screws for the palmrest and the memory slots will be right under the palmrest.  Refer to the HMM for more detailed instructions: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70068.html.  Video proceedures for installing memory are available on the Lenovo website.  Since the T61 ThinkPad is mechanically similar to T400 / T500, you follow the instructions for it's video.

http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/
Notebook > ThinkPad > T61 (nearly identical) > FRU Removals/Replacements > Palmrest.

You'll want to make sure all power sources are unplugged from the laptop, and that you are grounded. Try to avoid touching the pins in general.

NOTE: You can use most 4GB DDR3 modules, that are specified as 1066 MHz, although you won't realize any benefit from installing  memory that's faster than DDR3-1066, because 1333 memory just downclocks to 1066 in the T500)

Was this information helpful?

Comments
MSamy

I don't understand if it is DDR3 RAM on a 64 Bit system, why can't I upgrade to 2 8GB chips totalling 16 GB?

WidgetdMan

Hi MSammy,

Did you ever find out if you can use 16GB memory on your Lenovo T500?

I'm interested in doing the same if its do-able.

Ciao

Conn

WidgetdMan

MSammy,

I've got Win 7 64 bit but I think there are other Hardware limitations to inserting more than 8GB

Ciao

Conn

dave67

When I installed Windows 7 SP1 I did purchase the 64bit dvd but it installed the 32bit windows 7 version why would the installation install 32bit?  Right now 4GB of which only 2.97 is usble so my system tells me. I gave win7 a bigger page file which helped it load better. Seems like a lot of ram usage. My laptop is T500  2241-CC1

dave67

All can disregard my last post above  I purchased the 32bit version of windows 7 not 64bit. so I am going to purchase the 64bit windows7. And do the install all over again. Right now I could kick myself to China and back. I am going to throw always the 32bit version oh well. 

vegan-fanatic

64-bit windows will be able to use all memory, remember the HD 3650 graphics comes with 256MB of its own GDDR3 so that has to be mapped in soewhere too.

To get at the memory, unplug the machine, remove the battery, then remove the 4 screws with the keyboard symbol

you can then flip the machine over and gain access to the memory slots.

Testing DDR3 SO-DIMM it seems my T500 with the latest BIOS likes sticks with 8 chips per side. Tried some Kingston with 4 on a side and they would not POST at all.

DDR3 8GB are so recent its likely they may not be available in the 8 chip per side that older memory uses.

gvsa123

Hi there! I am in the process of trying to make this work and upgrade to 2x4gb modules. Right now i have 2x2gb 1066s. Tried the gskill 1600 and could not get it too boot at all. So i figured it was too much and stuck to 1066 corsairs 2x4gb but it did the same thing. Everyone says my system should be able to take up to 8gb so not sure whats going on here. Have not tried bios upgrades. Id like to know if this is actually possible... running 2x4gb i mean. Im running 64bit linux.

gvsa123

Updated the bios and still no luck. Im probably going to try another set of rams from a different manufacturer and see how it goes. Ive also tried all possible combinations with the four sticks i have and all i get is the 3-3-1 beep.

vegan-fanatic

The T500 chipset used by the T9400 is not compliant with the JEDEC standard so you are doing to have to do a lot of experimentation to find RAM that actually works

gvsa123

thanks for the reply. you mean in terms of the brand that will actually work? 

gvsa123

Just an update:

Finally got it to work after some digging around and finding help online. Apparently has something to do with the RAM I've tried being either 1Rx8 or 2Rx8 - and to match that with whatever chipset I have. See the link below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/98oybd/t500_love_and_hate_relationship/

So I just went with the Samsung 8GB Kit 2x 4GB 2RX8 PC3-12800 DDR3 1600mhz CL11 Sodimm Laptop Memory RAM I found online and it worked perfectly!

SANTCLOWN

I am also planning to add an additional 8GB RAM, What BIOS version do I need ?