Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dinsdale00
Paper Tape
Views: 82
Message 1 of 2

Upgrading T460s from M.2 SATA to M.2 NVMe (970 EVO)

Hello all, I'm trying to upgrade the SSD in my T460s from M.2 SATA to M.2 NVMe but I'm running into problems. The T460s is compatible with both SATA and NVMe so I know the system can accept an NVMe. I am currently running Windows 7 Pro and have fully updated Windows and I have also updated the BIOS and reset the startup to UEFI in BIOS as the SATA drive uses GPT. I create a system image from the old SATA drive and transfer it over the NVMe drive. The transfer is successful and the computer boots up but when Windows starts to boot that where it seems to fail and I get an error message that briefly flashes over a blue screen (it's gone before i can read it). Is there a setting I'm missing or maybe should I upgrade to Windows 10 first then try to transfer an image over to the NVMe? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 73
Message 2 of 2

Re: Upgrading T460s from M.2 SATA to M.2 NVMe (970 EVO)

You're probably missing an NVMe driver.  Updating to '10 _might_ add that driver.  I've not tested that.

There is a hotfix that should add the driver (if I'm reading it right, never tried that either...) after which you could try cloning again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2990941/update-to-add-native-driver-support-in-nvm-express-...

I have added an NVMe driver to installation media.  That does work - but is a real pain.  And you'd have to do a full reinstall.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors