Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kardus
Paper Tape
Views: 3,322
Message 1 of 8

Upgrading T470 with T470s/WQHD screen?

I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the T470 screen with the T470s screen. Doing a bit of research I've seen a few people mention it could be possible, although I have not seen anything conclusive. It seems as though the T470 screen is 30-pin whereas the T470s is 40-pin. Would it be possible to change these with the correct cable, and what do I need?

I'm basically on the fence regarding the T470 and T470s. Pros of the T470 for me is the slighly cheaper price, slightly better keyboard travel, and the removable battery which is a huge plus for me. The major con here is that I wanted a better screen, such as the one offered in the T470s/p model as it is higher resolution and has significantly better colour gamut. Choosing the T470s also leaves me without the removable battery/less battery life, however. I can also make a compromise with the T470p but even with the removable battery on that model I lose usb-c and thunderbolt, and the machine is heavier and chunkier. If I was able to get the T470s screen working on the T470 it would be ideal.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,298
Message 2 of 8

Re: Upgrading T470 with T470s/WQHD screen?

I haven't done it and I cannot give a definite answer.  I think it can only be answered by someone who has actually tried it.  I would guess the answer is no.  The different cable is likely to plug in differently and have different motherboard connector.  It looks like that is the case from the pictures in the manuals.  Even if they can fit, it is impossible to know if the pinout is the same.  Then, they have different BIOS images, so even if it works, you cannot be sure the BIOS will support it.

Trying it will likely void your warranty.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Vlad_Koldobskiy
Punch Card
Views: 3,168
Message 3 of 8

I looked through partslookup and this upgrade seems to be at least *theoretically* possible - if you replace display cable as well.

T470s has different LCD cables for 30-pin (FHD) and 40-pin (WQHD) panels, whereas motherboard connector should be identical (because I don't see different motherboard p/ns for FHD/WQHD). Cable length also looks similar to T470 at least judging by photos.

BIOS "support" isn't important, laptop doesn't care what panel is connected to its LVDS cable. This "different BIOS for hi-def screen" thing was back in the days when X61 existed.

Part numbers should be the following:

Thorpe-1 FRU Cable LCD WQHD - 00UR903

FRU of AUO 14.0 WQHD IPS AG 2.45t w/ Bracket - 00NY440

-or-
FRU Taylor2 14.0WQHD AG,N-touch,300nit,LGD(LP140QH1-SPK1) - 01HW908

There's also some "Thorpe-2 FRU Cable LCD Oncell - 01ER362" but I'm not sure what it is for - touchscreen?

That might void your warranty of course - but nothing stops you from swapping the panel back to original one when you need a warranty repair!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,162
Message 4 of 8

I think that if the 30-pin cable for the T470s was the same as the 30-pin cable for the T470, the part numbers would be the same.  I would be afraid of different pinnouts leading to a puff of smoke and a popping noise, followed by throwing an expensive laptop into the recycle pile.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Vlad_Koldobskiy
Punch Card
Views: 3,159
Message 5 of 8

These pinouts are usually standardized but yes, there is always a chance of destroying the laptop - as with pretty much any upgrade.

kardus
Paper Tape
Views: 3,138
Message 6 of 8

So, I ended up going with the T470 and really liking it so far all other things considered. The screen as I suspected is definitely an issue for me. The FHD is actually fine and don't mind not having a WQHD screen, but one issue of the T470 screen is that the colour gamut is absolutely awful amongst other things. It only gets about 50-60% sRGB coverage, and never having used a screen with this poor coverage, it's quite bothersome and I'll never be able to get used to this.

I've found reports of users successfully replaced T470 screen with one of the AUO B140HAN01.2 panels with no problems. So, I may try doing the replacement with either the B140HAN01.2 or B140HAN01.3. I believe these are actually the panels used on the T450s. These apparently get closer to about 90-100% sRGB which is satisfactory. If anyone knows the major differences between the two AUO revisions I'd appreciate any input. Seems like the .3 revision is brighter with slightly more power draw while the .2 may be more accurate? I need to do a bit more searching on this.  If anyone could also suggest other compatible panels/more modern panels that would be appreciated.

Regarding a direct swap of the T470s (WQHD, since the T470 FHD screens are just as bad/worse than the T470 ones) screen as I proposed before, it seems the higher res screens use 4 eDP lanes rather than 2 so I don't think it would be compatible. Looks like the T470 boards are not 4-lane compatible? Even though the touch T470 models have 40-pin connectors, seems those screens are still reserved to 2 lanes but on 40 pins. The anniversary T25 is also based on the 2-lane T470 boards which is why no WQHD options were offered for that.

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 1,201
Message 7 of 8

@richk wrote:

I think that if the 30-pin cable for the T470s was the same as the 30-pin cable for the T470, the part numbers would be the same.  I would be afraid of different pinnouts leading to a puff of smoke and a popping noise, followed by throwing an expensive laptop into the recycle pile.

I am trying to do something similar. In my case I want to upgrade my T470s to a brigher touch panel given that the stock one is a dim 250 nits. I have learned a little about the connectors. There are at least 3 types in modern laptops (and probably many more). The 3 types that concern me (and maybe you) are:

1. 30-pin eDP 2-channel (used for FHD without touch)

2. 40-pin eDP 2-channel (used for FHD + touch)

3. 40-pin eDP 4-channel (used for higher display resolutions, touch and non-touch as I understand it)

Note that there are 2 distinct types of 40 pin cables / connectors which are not interchangeable.

My T470s appears to have a 40-pin eDP 2-channel connector. I have not yet determined if I can switch the cable and use a panel that is 30-pin eDP 2-channel non-touch. (If anyone here knows, please follow up.)

You probably already know this, but in addition to removing the battery and disconnecting the power, go into the BIOS and disable the 2nd battery. I hope this info helps.

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 1,198
Message 8 of 8

@kardus wrote:

I've found reports of users successfully replaced T470 screen with one of the AUO B140HAN01.2 panels with no problems. So, I may try doing the replacement with either the B140HAN01.2 or B140HAN01.3.

It sounds like you may have already found this site, but if not, here is one way to compare these panel options:

Panel Specification Compare - Panelook.com
http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=18920,23640,18918

I also see you already figured out the 40-pin 2-channel connector on the T470 series ThinkPads. It seems that this particular connector type really limits the panel options (or I haven't found the right places to look for panels. Panelook.com only shows a single 14" panel using the connector my T470s uses -- and it is the same crappy 250 nit panel that comes stock.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors