cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nils7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,049
Message 1 of 9

Upgrading to Windows 10 removed caching function of SSD on T440s - how to fix?

I have a Lenovo T440s with a HDD and a 16 GB SSD. Under Windows 8, the SSD was used as a large chace memory, which helped significantly to speed up the computer. After upgrading to Windows 10, the SSD has been configured as "OEM partition". As far as I understand this partition keeps recovery data in case I need to re-install Windows. It means in practice that the SSD is never used, as is verified from the Disk Activity indicator in the Task Manager.

After upgrading to WIndows 10 the performance of my computer has dropped, especially when starting up, which now takes several minutes. I suspect that this is related to the wrongly configured SSD. Lenovo Tech Support adviced me to re-install Windows 8, which certainly should fix the problem but would let me lose many of the good features of Windows 10. Also, if I would upgrade to Windows 10 again in the future, the problem would probably return.

- Is there any way to change the way the SSD is used under Windows 10, such that it can act again as a cache drive as intended?

- If this can be done, but start-up performance is still not satisfactory, are there other means to improve it?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,023
Message 2 of 9

Re: Upgrading to Windows 10 removed caching function of SSD on T440s - how to fix?

Hi

I assume ExpressCache application was being used under win8.1 for the cache purpose.

After win10 upgrade you have to perform two steps:
- remove the caching app
- reinstall the app

For details and apps follow the pages below, do not forget about readme files:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T44...
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T44...

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Nils7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,981
Message 3 of 9

Re: Upgrading to Windows 10 removed caching function of SSD on T440s - how to fix?

Thank you for the quick reply. I have performed the above steps, but this has not solved the problem.

- According to the Task Manager, the SSD (Disk 1) is not used at all (no activity is shown).

- Start-up and shut down are still very slow.

- The Computer Management application still shows that the SSD is used as OEM partition only

- Although ExpressCache is configured as autorun, it is not running on the computer (status is "stopped"). When trying to start the application Error 1053 is given.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Kind Regards, N.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,976
Message 4 of 9

I think you might remove the primary partition on the cache drive. Take a look at this page for details:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht074404

It's win7 related but I hope the solutions for test and troubleshootings are the same.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Nils7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,967
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the link. The page refers to the "Disk Management" software, which on Windows 10 doesn't seem to support deleting a volume. I right click on the volume corresponding to the SSD drive as stated, but have no "Delete" option. Is there any other way? Also, do I need to take any specific action before deleting it?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,963
Message 6 of 9

I didn't see detailed recomendations, useful KB articles or discussions about ExpressCache application in the laptop with win10 upgrade. So, sorry.

There is a page about win10 upgrade compatibility:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103611

According to this page ExpressCache application should be uninstalled before win10 upgrade.

Perhaps a powerfull system application diskpart.exe (launch it from the command prompt window) is capable to manage cache drive and remove the primary partition. Be very watchful to use it.

Nils7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,947
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the advice. With Diskpart I indeed managed to delete the partition (and also clean it, as was suggested by some sources).

The next step: how can I make Express Cache using the SSD after deleting the OEM partition? It doesn't seem to habben automatically. Instead, after start-up the OEM partition is there again. I have tried removing Express Chache and installing it again, rebooting the computer, etc. Nothing seems to help.

I have also tried to use the Express Cache software from the command line (eccmd.exe) but when trying to connect to a partition, I get the response that I don't have the rights. There is only myself registered as user on this computer and I have the administrator rights.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,930
Message 8 of 9

I hope you are closely to the success.

Regarding the eccmd.exe tool take a look at the page I linked above. There is a statement:
"Open the Start Menu, click on "All Programs", then click on "Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and then choose "Run as administrator" from the menu that appears."

Also, the pages below might help:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/HT104581
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds105270

The cleaning tool will allow you to remove ExpressCache completely, then reinstall it.

Nils7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,902
Message 9 of 9

Thanks again for the support. I believe the problem is solved now. It is hard to say exactly what the solution was, since I tried many things. Basically the sequence which made it work was as follows:

1. Using diskpart to clean disk 1 (the SSD). I used the command "clean all".

2. Remove ExpressCache with the software provided by Lenovo

3. Reboot

4. Install Express Cache with the software provided by Lenovo

5. Reboot

6. Verify with "eccmd" from the elevated command prompt available from "Windows+X" that ExpressChach is configured to use disk 1

(Please note that the way to run the command prompt as administrator described in your previous response does not seem to be available on my computer).

Kind regards,

N.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors