cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayBCTTech
Token Ring
Views: 1,372
Message 1 of 4

Using four monitors (three external plus internal) on a T580 + Ultra Pro Docking Station...

Hey Lenovo Team,

I have a T580 laptop connected to a Lenovo ThinkPad Ultra Pro docking station. There are two monitors connected via Displayport and a third (which is actually a projector) via HDMI. I read that if you were to use three external monitors on a docking station, that you need to get an Ultra Pro Docking station, but I didn't know if that meant three not including the external display. As of now, I can't get the extended desktop to display on the projector, unless one of the other monitors or the built-in monitor on the laptop gets disabled. On the Intel Display software, I am only given three monitors that I can configure, even though there are FOUR on the pull down list. In the Windows Screen Resolution settings, you can see there are four monitors detected, but the fourth one, you can't do anything with and it says it's not active. The graphics drivers software, BIOS, and Ultra Pro Docking station firmware are all up-to-date. I tried configuring the other monitors' resolutions as requested on the support site for resolutions/refresh rates supported (they are all 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz) and yet I still can't get the fourth monitor to work.

I'm not sure if there's a BIOS setting that needs changing or what I need to do to get all the monitors to work or if, in fact, you can't get the three external monitors plus the internal laptop monitor to work.

Could someone provide some assistance or suggestions to get the monitors working? That would be appreciated!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,356
Message 2 of 4

Re: Using four monitors (three external plus internal) on a T580 + Ultra Pro Docking Station...

Hi JayBCTTech,

I think you're battling uphill with that. The T480 spec and Display Video matrix both say three monitors max.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
JayBCTTech
Token Ring
Views: 1,341
Message 3 of 4

Re: Using four monitors (three external plus internal) on a T580 + Ultra Pro Docking Station...

Thank you for your reply, bananaman. I checked the T580 PSREF and it said it supports three independent displays and also the docking station support three displays. Does that not include the laptop itself and does that mean when there's three monitors connected, that the laptop screen gets disabled?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,320
Message 4 of 4

Yes. This graphics and processor combo can support three monitors total.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors