Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwlane
Paper Tape
Views: 3,826
Message 1 of 3

Volume Indicator Disappeared

I have a T400 using Windows XP SP3. Recently my Volume Indicatore bar at the bottom of the screen disappeared. It's the one that pops up when you hit one of the three volume bottons on the top left of the keyboard. It gives you the volume level in a bar graph fashion.

For some reason, it just stopped coming up when those buttons were pressed. Well, in an effort to get it working again, I decided to load the latest audio drivers from the Lenovo website for the Audio. I have since loaded the audio driver 4.92.15.0/3.64.14.0 which required also loading a new Power Management driver and Hotkey driver. Once loaded, I know get the audio bar, but instead of it missing, it now won't go away. Right after I boot the system, the bar is not showing. If I press either one of the volume buttons at the top of the keyboard, the bar comes up but doesn't time out.

I don't know which is worst, not having it, or having it all the time where it gets in the way.

The only thing I did recently was purchase a docking station. However that didn't require and code to be loaded. So I'm at a loss as to what caused the indicater to stop in the first place.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you might have.

Ideasmiths
802.11n
Views: 3,781
Message 2 of 3

Re: Volume Indicator Disappeared

If I remember correct, it is not the audio driver, it is actually the hotkey driver and on screen display driver that is showing the 'special' keys such as volume buttons and  the Fn + F1 to F9 buttons. See lenovo description at end of message.

You should uninstall these drivers, launch system update and reinstall using it, it should find the missing drivers.

However, your case may be due to a recent driver update which is not compatible with the on screen display driver, so if the reinstallation doesn't work, you would need to downgrade one of the drivers so they work in harmony.

Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP (32-bit, 64-bit) and 2000 - ThinkPad

This package provides the utilities (sub packages) related for the special keys and buttons on your computer. The special keys and buttons are designed on the accessibility and usability. The utilities enable the full functionality for the special keys and buttons.

This package contains the following sub packages:
- On Screen Display
- FullScreen Magnifier
- System Interface Driver
- Display Utility
- AutoScroll Utility
feathers
Paper Tape
Views: 1,412
Message 3 of 3

Re: Volume Indicator Disappeared

In my case, on a Lenovo T61/XP-SP3, simply running C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY\TPOSDSVC.exe solved the problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors