cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cangoou
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,775
Message 1 of 10

WWAN: No connections available (T430S, H5321 gw, Win7)

Hello,

I have a SIM-card installed in my T430s (working with Win7 64). It worked fine, but I didn't use it for about 3 months and now I'm not able to get a connection: It just doesn't appear in "available connections".

• The button to deactivate the flight-mode is on (allowing connections, WLAN is working).
  • There is a "Mobile Broadbandconnection" in "Networkconnections" (Not connected, H5321 gw Mobile Broadband Driver). When clicking on "Diagnostics" it says "The connection to the computer was either detached or the computer was never connected to 'unknown network'".
  • The mobile ISP (T-Mobile) says the card is still active and yes, it's inside the appropriate slot.
  • Lenovo Update and Lenovo System Health and Diagnostics are telling me everything is fine.
  • The "H5321 gw Mobile Broadband Driver" appears in Divice Manager. Windows tells me it's the newest driver (02/19/2013).
  • I saw suggestions that the WWAN might be turned off in BIOS, but couldn't find such a switch. The BIOS is from 2016-09-12.
  • I tried to install the newest firmware from http://support.lenovo.com/de/de/downloads/ds111734, but it gives errors:
    TL:Device           ERROR     <<<< TlLocDeviceSerialReceive() - Timeout.
    TL:Device           ERROR     <<<< TlLocDeviceSerialReceive() - Timeout.
    (some more of that)
    ECP:Device          ERROR     Failed to identify module. Close device.

Any idea how to get to know what the error might be?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,764
Message 2 of 10

Re: WWAN: No connections available (T430S, H5321 gw, Win7)

Hello and welcome

Be sure an APN value cellular operator privides for your tariff/contract matches the APN settings in the Connection Manager.

Regarding the BIOS:
Security menu-> I/O Port Access-> Wireless WAN

Doesthe wwan modem work in the Device Manager w/out errors? Is there appropriate wwan network adapter in the Network Adapters category?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Cangoou
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,731
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for yor reply!

BIOS: Okay, WWAN was enabled.

Does the wwan modem work in the Device Manager w/out errors? -> Yes.

Is there appropriate wwan network adapter in the Network Adapters category? -> Yes, "not connected". 

What is the "Connection Manager"? Is it from Windows or from Lenovo? I'm not sure, because I installed everything some years ago Smiley Embarassed

I tried the Lenovo programm "Mobile Broadband Activation", it's telling me "SIM card found. Unable to retrieve IMSI". I told that to my ISP, but I was told that this doesn't mean the SIM card is broken.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,719
Message 4 of 10

> Yes, "not connected".

Windows Device Manager doesn't show such status - "connected/not connected". Is there errors, unknown devices in the Device Manager?

> What is the "Connection Manager"? Is it from Windows or from Lenovo?

It's a Windows 7 native aplication, window upon clicking on the icon with white bars.

Mobile Broadband Activation is useless application for your cellular operator. It's for sim-less networks in the USA

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Cangoou
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,713
Message 5 of 10

"not connected" is shown in "Network Adapters".

The windows connection manager is not showing any possible broadband-connections, only WiFi-connections. So I'm not getting to a point to input any data like the APN.

I tried "Access Connections" from Lenovo. When trying to connect, the protocoll gives errors like:

ERROR AcSvc. SYSTEM(Prvlg).4204.2944[5/17]23:22:39:411 GetAdapterObjectFromPnpID: Failed to get fresh adapter object for USB\VID_0BDB&PID_1926&MI_06\

ERROR AcSvc. SYSTEM(Prvlg).4204.4888[5/17]23:22:39:425 AcAdapterCurrentProfile::ReadAcitveProfileName FAIL in Reading profile Value

Don't know if this might help...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,697
Message 6 of 10

> "not connected" is shown in "Network Adapters".

it's impossible in the Device Manager.
Please, make a snapshot of the Device Manager with Network Adapters category expanded. And show it.

Errors above shows - the wwan card might be not turned on logically. Or it doesn't read the sim card data.

Lets perform a couple checkng and tests:
1. make sure Windows "WWAN Autoconfig" service works.
2. open command prompt window (cmd), type in and execute the following strings, one by one:
netsh mbn sh int
netsh mbn sh rad int=*
netsh mbn sh read int=*

Remove the parts (or replace with *** symbols) of the Hardware ID, Subscriber ID and ICC sim-card code values and post outputs here.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,691
Message 7 of 10

I've forgotten main question.
Assuming Lenovo Power Management Driver is installed, press Fn+F5. Is there wwan connection entry? Is it enabled?

Cangoou
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,671
Message 8 of 10

Thanks again for your reply.

Please see the attached jpg for all settings.

netsh mbn sh int returns (I didn't delete any data, just masked it):

Name               : Mobile Breitbandverbindung
    Beschreibung        : H5321 gw Mobile Broadband Driver
    GUID               : {CFDxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}
    Physische Adresse   : 02:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    Status              : Nicht verbunden
    Gerätetyp        : In das System ist ein mobiles Breitbandgerät eingebettet.
    Mobilklasse     : GSM
    Geräte-ID          :
    Hersteller       : Lenovo
    Modell              : H5321 gw
    Firmwareversion   : R3C11
    Signal             : 0%

So there is no device-id ("Geräte-ID") and no signal (althought I have a strong signal with a mobile phone of the same ISP).

netsh mbn sh rad int=*

Funkstatusinformationen für die Schnittstelle Mobile Breitbandverbindung:
-------------------------------------
    Hardwarefunkstatus      : Ein
    Softwarefunkstatus      : Ein

netsh mbn sh read int=*

Bereitschaftsinformationen für die Schnittstelle Mobile Breitbandverbindung:
-------------------------------------
    Status            : Bereit zum Einschalten und Registrieren
    Notfallmodus   : Aus
    Empfänger-ID    :
    SIM ICC-ID       :
    Anzahl Rufnummern  : 0

So there is no SIM ICC-ID and no Receiver-ID and no phonenumber.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,635
Message 9 of 10

Sorry for delay.

As you see, the SIM card data are absent, not available for the modem and external requests. This causes the radio signal missing. Moreover, "device-id" (i.e.the modem's IMEI) is missing too. And this latter issue is more difficult to explain presently while the SIM-card related ones might mean its incorrect insertion to the slot or the broken reader, pins. Did you insert the SIM card properly, according to the User Guide (cut angle outside, right direction)? Did you insert the SIM card while the laptop was powered on (it's prohibited)?

Are you able to inspect the SIM card reader' pins inside the slot? Does everything look OK? Also, remove the AC charger and battery, remove the modem, clean its and the slot pins by alcohol, remove the SIM card. Assemble the parts back and test the wwan card.

Cangoou
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,609
Message 10 of 10

Thank you very much for your help. I tried some of your tips but it won't help. Finally I ordered a new SIM-card and it works just like charm right from the start. So I guess the card was just broken (which is strange because it's very good protected inside the case).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors