cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MeloE
Fanfold Paper
Views: 340
Message 1 of 10

Wanting to buy a higher power adapter (135W) but t590 does not have slim tip port

Hi All

I have a T590 with mx250 GPU, and 65W power adapter. i 'm planning to buy a larger capacity charger, however the 135W power adapter is a slim tip adapter and the t590 does not have a slim tip port. is there an alternative ?

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 267
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wanting to buy a higher power adapter (135W) but t590 does not have slim tip port

USB-C (the power port on your laptop) specifies a maximum power delivery of 100 Watts.  There is one other manufacturer that "fudges" that when its power adapter is uses _only_ with its laptops, but to my knowledge Lenovo does not do this and there's no such thing available for general use.

Voltage and power draw are "negotiated" by USB-C devices and your T590 isn't going to draw more than the 65W it needs.  What are you trying to achieve?  Are you planning to use the higher-power adapter for something else as well?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

MeloE
Fanfold Paper
Views: 263
Message 3 of 10

Re: Wanting to buy a higher power adapter (135W) but t590 does not have slim tip port

Thank you for your response.

yes, actually i use 3 external hard discs and other usb stuff (keyboard, mouse, phone, etc) + gaming occasionally which make the 60W not enough, also one of my external hard drive is damaged and i have reason to believe that the mechanical parts got damaged when there is not enough power.

I think 90W or 135W would be enough, is there a 90W USB-C power adapter at least ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 258
Message 4 of 10

I'm not aware of a higher-powered USB-C adapter from Lenovo.  Neither is The Google.  Doesn't mean there isn't one, and such may be available from other manufacturers.

About all your external stuff: if you mean that you need extra power supplied by the AC adapter and passed through the laptop, I'm not sure that a stronger charger will get you there.  This is just speculation on my part, but since there's a voltage conversion involved - 20V to 5V - the laptop may not pull that extra power that you require since it will still be subject to negotiation and limited (perhaps) by the laptops power circuitry.

You might consider using a powered hub of some kind to off-load the power demand from the laptop.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

MeloE
Fanfold Paper
Views: 250
Message 5 of 10

thank you for your response, you are right unfortunately there is no higher-powered USB-C adapter from Lenovo

i've found an USB-C to Slim Tip Adapter (converter pic attached) in amazon, do you think if i use it with a slim tip 90w power adapter the problem will be fixed ? 

AE87_1_2019080263995599 (1).jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 241
Message 6 of 10

@MeloE wrote:

i've found an USB-C to Slim Tip Adapter (converter pic attached) in amazon, do you think if i use it with a slim tip 90w power adapter the problem will be fixed ? 

I don't know.  My concern remains the same: the laptop will only draw and pass through the 65W it is designed for.  Again, that's speculation on my part.

Z.

MeloE
Fanfold Paper
Views: 233
Message 7 of 10

Got it, Thank you, I'm going to look into it  . 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 174
Message 8 of 10

Hi again,

I have a little more info that may be helpful or encouraging although unofficial ... A friend with a T590 offered to run a test using the T, a dock with USB-C power delivery, and a couple of power bricks.  Results are:

I put my T590 on a ThinkPad Pro dock (40AH) and connected 135W power adapter to the dock.  In this configuration, Vantage tells me that "85W USB-C power is attached".  Then I used same dock with 230W power supply and Vantage tells me that "100W USB-C power is attached".  Clearly the dock is adding an extra layer between the power supply and ThinkPad, but based on this experiment, I believe the ThinkPad can handle a higher-wattage USB-C charger.  YMMV since Lenovo does not provide any USB-C chargers higher than 65W.

The way I read it is that the T590 will negotiate power delivery higher than 65W - up to at least the USB-C specified 100W max.

FWIW, YMMV - and thanks to my friend,

Z.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 166
Message 9 of 10

The USB ports won't deliver enough power for high-draw peripherals regardless of what AC adapter you use.  You need a powered hub or a separate power supply for the peripheral.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
MeloE
Fanfold Paper
Views: 140
Message 10 of 10

Thank you , i did some research also and the best solution i found was to go for a ThinkPad Pro dock

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors