Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gtargui
Paper Tape
Views: 517
Message 1 of 2

Warranty claim outside of purchase country

Hello everyone.

I'm thinking of purchasing a T470 and it appears that it comes with a 3 year onsite warranty as standard here in the UK (with the student discount anyway).

My main question is that will I be able to make warranty claims even if I'm not in the UK? I'm going to be going to China in August and I'll be there for a good 10 months (maybe more) so I want to know if I'll be able to make warranty claims there.

Going along with that, if I am able to make warranty claims in China, will I have to make the claim in Chinese to Lenovo China, and what is the chance that the technician speaks English (especially in a second tier city)? I'd say my Mandarin is "OK" at the moment but I know very few computer related terms. I think I could just about get by with what I know and the dictionary app on my phone, a roommate helping, or someone in the International Students office helping over the phone, but I'd feel much better having making the claim and talking to the technician in English if possible.

Finally, I'll probably buy some RAM and a SSD from Amazon if the price is significantly cheaper than Lenovo. Will I have any problems with this if I need to make a warranty claim?

Thanks in advance!

X201t
SeniorGuru
Views: 465
Message 2 of 2

Re: Warranty claim outside of purchase country

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with the Chinese warranty questions. However with respect to the RAM and SSD, upgrading them will have no effect on your warranty. (Provided of course that the warranty issue isn't related to either component.)

My suggestion is to keep the old RAM and HDD/SSD so that you can use that to reproduce any issue that requires the warranty. But even that's not strictly necessary. I've sent ThinkPads in for service without any HDD/SSD in order to protect my data. Lenovo has never given me any grief over that. Of course the problems were unrelated, e.g. LCD panel, fan, etc. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors