05-28-2010

San Francisco, CA, USA

178 Signins

1075 Page Views

• Views: 1075
  • Message 1 of 2

Warranty start date when bought from a retailer

2012-10-27, 21:39 PM

Hi there.  I have a question about a warranty start date.

I bought a T420i from a local retailer on 9/20/2012 (while waiting for the whole T430s fiasco to end).  I recently tried registering the T420 online, and when I finished the registration, I was surprised to find that the machine has the warranty expiration date of 6/24/2013.  I was assuming the standard warranty starts from the date of purchase (9/20).

I presume this is because of the way the retailer got the T420 from Lenove or wholesale to begin with, before they put it on display, and I am not doubting the authenticitiy of the product.  They were perfectly new when I got it.

So I chatted with an online rep and called up a couple numbers to talk to other reps (which by the way is overall a negative experience... of course!!  One of the call actually got to IBM support, which seems to be still taking care of some aspects of ThinkPad..... at least the IBM guy was professional), but I haven't been able to reach the person I seem to be in need to get to (entitlement group??).  In the end I was told to try during the regular business hours, since they don't do this sort of stuff during weekends.

I probably shouldn't have considered buying a Lenovo from a retailer to begin with, but is this a standard way the warranty start date is handled?   That the warranty start date starts on the date the *retailer* purchases Lenovo products? 

If there is any way I could change that to the purchase date, I would like to do so.  If anyone knows how to go about this, please let me know.

Solved! See the solution
Options

2379 Posts

03-09-2012

CA

5594 Signins

25311 Page Views

• Views: 25311
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Warranty start date when bought from a retailer

2012-10-28, 1:20 AM
if its new and not previous used/registered then the purchase invoice date over rides the build date. Although that may not help in the build issues. It was an old model to start with.

You certainly need to call and talk to someone during business hours and get the warranty updated. A fax or scan of the purchase invoice is normally all that is required. Get it done ASAP to prevent issues down the road.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save