Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andykrnac
Serial Port
Views: 233
Message 1 of 6

What Thinkpad support RAM extension above 8GB

Dear Gents

As I have very bad experience with RAM upgrade on Carbon, T420 etc. I would like to check if Thinkpads above T440, T450 has such issue? Can anybody list which high spec Thinkpads do not have such constraint?

Many thanks

Best regards

Andy

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 231
Message 2 of 6

Re: What Thinkpad support RAM extension above 8GB

The easiest way for you to find out the specifications of the models you are interested in would be to search for the Platform Specifications for the models you are looking for.     For instance, to find out the specifications for the T470, search Google for "T470 psref" and the search will return a result PSREF ThinkPad ThinkPad T470, which is a document that will give you all the details of the system you are looking for.    Most of new newer models seem to support 32 GB

Cheers,

andykrnac
Serial Port
Views: 225
Message 3 of 6

I am quite busy but how you meant newer models?Can we say everything above T450 is newer and supporting 16+ GB RAM?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 212
Message 4 of 6

The T450 and newer machines support 16GB per DIMM, so even a single slot machine supports 16GB.  Some models like x1 carbon and x1 yoga have no slots.  Memory is soldered to the motherboard.  In that case,, you need to choose a model with a motherboard having 16GB onboard. (To be precise, a few T450 and X250 machines were sold with 4th generation CPUs.  Those models will not take 16GB DIMMs)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 166
Message 5 of 6

@JDGillis wrote:

The easiest way for you to find out the specifications of the models you are interested in would be to search for the Platform Specifications for the models you are looking for. ...

PSREF isn't always authoritative on this issue. The maximum RAM specified is what was available at the time the model was introduced, i.e. what Lenovo had available to test. This could be lower than the theoretical maximum the chipset is capable of supporting. For older systems it's a good idea to also search this forum or do a Google search to find out what RAM others have reported success (or failure) with.

In any case I can confirm that T430/T430s can support 16GB of RAM as 2x 8GB modules. So newer models will support at least that much.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 161
Message 6 of 6

As @hausman says, T430 and T430s can have 16GB, but T440 and T440s boards have a single slot.  Some of those have 4GB or 8GB soldered also, but those with less than 8GB soldered can not handle 16GB total.  The 16GB DIMMs only work on T450 and later with 5th gen or later CPUs.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors