Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ESRD-Sales
What's DOS?
Views: 295
Message 1 of 6

What can go here - T420

Just purchased a reconditioned T420, and was happy to find the memory slot on the back of the notebook open, but when I opened the back up I noticed these two wires just to the left of the open memory slot.

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/epnec0.jpg[/IMG]

I know it is not the best picture (its a screen capture if an instrctional video on adding memory), but you can see the part that I am talking about.

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/28k1s7b.jpg[/IMG]

How to you attach images?

Hopefully you can follow the links to see the pictures I am talking about.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 286
Message 2 of 6

Re: What can go here - T420

Hello and welcome,

Have a look at page 75 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T420, T420i

That slot can take a WWAN card (those are the antenna cables) or an mSATA SSD.  I run a 256GB SSD in mine with an HDD in the normal drive slot.  It's a nice combo.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ESRD-Sales
What's DOS?
Views: 280
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the quick reply.
I have not physically touched this notebook yet. It was shipped to my parents house and my father took the back cover off to see if that memory slot was open, and noticed the open bay to the left.
So, sorry if this is a stupid question, but does this mean the notebook does not have Wireless network card? I thought the access for the wireless card was under the keyboard?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 274
Message 4 of 6

WWAN != WLAN Smiley Wink   That slot is for a wide area network card - a cellular card.  The wifi card is indeed under the keyboard.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ESRD-Sales
What's DOS?
Views: 263
Message 5 of 6

OK - That makes sense.

When you say you are running yours with a mSATA SSD in that slot, does that hard drive just appear as a 2nd hard drive?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 256
Message 6 of 6

@ESRD-Sales wrote:
OK - That makes sense.

When you say you are running yours with a mSATA SSD in that slot, does that hard drive just appear as a 2nd hard drive?

Yes if I understand your question.  I use the SSD for my primary OS drive with Windows 7 on it.  The spinner is a data drive with a bunch of random stuff on it, including backups of the SSD and a bootable Linux.

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors