cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 1,083
Message 1 of 3

Which CPU for T480 and T480s has no heat, noisy fan, thermal throttling issues?

Hello, I am looking for a laptop that is silent or almost silent, no heat that makes using the laptop on laps uncomfortablly hot and have no serious thermal throttling issues like the MacBook Pro 2018 models are experiencing. If I buy the T480 or T480s, which CPU do you recommend? I use it mainly for productivity applications. Thanks

Louis67
What's DOS?
Views: 406
Message 2 of 3

Re: Which CPU for T480 and T480s has no heat, noisy fan, thermal throttling issues?

I bought the new high spec T480s, Intel Core i7-8550U, Nvida GPU, and it has thermal issues, required thermal patch....know issues but they sell it to you without knowledge. Patch has not fixed the thermal issue. Ramdomly rages at 94-98% CPU while only browsing internet, fans activate etc. very odd behaviour.

jaybird334
Paper Tape
Views: 392
Message 3 of 3

Re: Which CPU for T480 and T480s has no heat, noisy fan, thermal throttling issues?

I recently purchased the T480, with the i5-8250U with integrated graphics, and after enabling Lenovo intelligent cooling the fan stays off most of the time (though it does come on ocassionally), and temperatures are well controlled. Running Prime95, the laptop never became uncomfortably hot (though the fan was on during the test). In fact, Speedfan recorded temperatures of around 56 degrees C during the stress test. Under nornal usage, Speedfan records temperatures of around 25 degrees, so the laptop is entirely comfortable to use on your lap. When on, the fan makes a 'woosh' sound rather than a high-pitched noise, so, for me, it is bearable. I can't comment on thermal throttling.

Hope this is of some help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors