Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diecast
Punch Card
Views: 149
Message 1 of 6

Which one of the Thinkpad T series support this particular SSD

Hello all,

I am considering an upgrade on my T510 Thinkpad, but recently I am bit dissapointed, because I cannot find a Thinkpad who supports the newer M2 drives which are round 80mm long. I find the majority of the Thinkpads are supporting the ~40mm M2 SSDs.

Is there a Thinkpad with M2, who can support the longer type of these drives?

The targets are - T440, T540, T450, T550 and T460...

Thank you for your time.

ThinkPad-ed [T510]
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 139
Message 2 of 6

Re: Which one of the Thinkpad T series support this particular SSD

Hi

Specify, please, what'd you like to perform exactly? Which system on?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 129
Message 3 of 6

diecast
Punch Card
Views: 109
Message 4 of 6

Hello,

I am trying to find a Thinkpad which can fits NVME M2 SSD drive on the M2 slot.

So far the majority of the Thinkpads I am finding (T440, T450, T450 are accepting the smaller drive on this slot which is around 40mm lenght, the majority of these drives are around 80mm lenght.

I was wondering if there is a Thinkpad T series with enough space to accept this type of drive.

The idea behind this is to use the M2 for OS, software for faster loading times and the drive bay for a large mechanical drive on 7200rpm for data storage.

ThinkPad-ed [T510]
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 106
Message 5 of 6

Simple. Buy a new machine as outlined above.

Order HDD, add your non purchased 2280 stick?? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 83
Message 6 of 6

Most (but not all) ThinkPads as of x40 generation support both 2.5" drives (either HDD or SSD), and/or m.2 SSD (either 2242 or 2280, SATA or PCIe). But some models support the single drive only, either 2.5' or m.2 type. So, the choice is wide enough, especially if you don't have a generation or model preference.

There are platform specifications on the PSREF site, the certain links are above. Follow them. Or get almost all specifications including ThinkPad 11e, 13, A, E, L, P, T, X series, etc. in the single file:
http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/i_pdf/ThinkPad.pdf

Unfortunately, not every specification mentions the 2nd 2242 SSD in separate m.2 slot capabilities, usually it's a combo slot for wwan/ssd, so, this needs to be precised.

Regarding the T450 mentioned above:it supports even 3 drives - 2.5", m.2 2242 double/single sided, m.2 2242 single sided (via special adapter).

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors