cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drino
Paper Tape
Views: 2,263
Message 81 of 158

Re: Who would like a 15 inch ThinkPad that has a centered keyboard and trackpad (no number pad)

Thank you Lenovo team for your dedication.

I want to add a little wish:

If you can reuse the beautiful TP 25 keyboard it will be even better !

Some previous models have emulated a number pad with the keys I, O, P etc...

It should be convenient to use the "fn" key to activate that.

Thanks again.

misku
Paper Tape
Views: 1,956
Message 82 of 158

Re: Who would like a 15 inch ThinkPad that has a centered keyboard and trackpad (no number pad)

I just created an account here, just to thank you and give you thumbs up for numpadless Thinkpad. Great move!

captain-pixel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,941
Message 83 of 158

TPadsFan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,908
Message 84 of 158

See below

TPadsFan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,913
Message 85 of 158

I am the proud owner of the original Thinkpad. Then T61 and then T520. I bought T540 and returned it. Why? One and only reason - most human brains are programmed to do things symetrically. So, when Lenovo decided to throw in numpad on a laptop, it screwed the whole biologics of the brain. Why would I want to program my right hand farther to the left just because Lenovo wanted to please the number crunching guys? For a few iterations., Lenovo was offering both num pad and non-numpad versions and they phased it out. baddecision by Lenovo. I have been on many forums and there are frustrated people not having any choice to buy a thinkpad 15 inch without the much hated numpad. the T540 went back. I am typing this on my T520 which i bought in 2011. Still going strong. So as the staff member confirmed, if Lenovo releases a laptop that is 15 inches, then I will give serious consideration to buy it. Until then, I am happy with T520, which has been retrofitted with 2 TB HDD in DVD bay, 500GB Samsung MSata in WWAN and 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro in HDD bay. Works well. Only annoyance is Lenovo BIOS whitelist does not include an Intel AC wifi card so I am stuck with N card.

One more feedback to lenovo: Why in the world did you think it was okay to do away with DVD rom. Okay you did away with it but then if I wanted to have an NVME SSD and also a regular HDD, I cannot. the latest and greatest T580 and P52S is either NVME SSD or regular rotational HDD. the whole point of Thinkpad is scalability. Where is the scalability for users to add more storage? If I wanted to add more storage, I have to throw NVME SSD OR regular SSD in HDD bay and then Msata in WWAN. But there is no separate NVME PCie bay and a dedicated HDD bay. Cmon guys - at least T series 15 inch could have this option. In your quest for constant shrinking of size and making systems lighter, you are compromising on the functionality of these laptops. If I wanted a thin and a delicate looking flower, I can get a Yoga. If I am going for 15 inch T series Tpad, it means I am already looking to sacrifice weight for functionality. Whoever makes these critical decisions at Lenovo should have two more people from Human Factor engineering dept cross verify what the end users want.  Charge us more money for your offerings and we will be happy to pay and get what we want.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,908
Message 86 of 158

@TPadsFan wrote:

If I wanted to add more storage, I have to throw NVME SSD OR regular SSD in HDD bay and then Msata in WWAN. But there is no separate NVME PCie bay and a dedicated HDD bay.

Not quite right.  The WWAN/SSD slot in the T580 and P52s supports 2 lane PCIe.  It's 2242 so options are limited but Toshiba is introducing some fairly high-capacity units.

T580 P52s Storage Specs.PNG

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T580/ThinkPad_T580_Platform_Specificatio...

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20P52s/ThinkPad_P52s_Platform_Specificatio...

Toshiba Unveils Mainstream RC100 NVMe SSD Series at CES 2018

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

TPadsFan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,904
Message 87 of 158

Thanks for the clariciation but I still cannot have a rotational disk in HHD and NVMe SSD (in WWAN) with full speeds offered by such SSD.  If the SSD is inserted in WWAN, it is limited in terms of lanes as opposed to inserting the same in its HDD bay/slot. 

ToddZ
What's DOS?
Views: 1,772
Message 88 of 158

I have a T520, and need to get a new machine sooner than a few months, which you said would be an approx. time frame for this new model.  I'm wanting a P52 when/if it's released, which I've heard could be April.  Can you at least tell us if this new model is the P52, or will P52 still be released sooner?  I'd love to have the centered keyboard, but if the P52 is released sooner, I'd get it.

Thanks a lot.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,758
Message 89 of 158

Hi there. The model I referenced is completely new (not the P52) and will not disappoint! The P52 will launch as scheduled in Q2. As mentioned in other threads, we are heavily reliant on Intel's CPU schedule. Hope this helps!
devnulljp
Serial Port
Views: 1,732
Message 90 of 158

My venerable old T500 just died, so I bought an E575. Just got it a couple of days ago, and so far I hate it. The off centre keyboard with the useless number pad is a disaster. It's awkward, I have never used a number pad in 35+ years of using computers. And ther dual functions on the F# keys is a nightmare...keystrokes that used to be easy are now carpal tunnel syndrome inducingly awkward.

There isn't a no-number pad keyboard option is there? I'd buy a new keyboard and throw this one in the trash if I could get one and make it work.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors