cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TPadsFan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,305
Message 91 of 147

Re: Who would like a 15 inch ThinkPad that has a centered keyboard and trackpad (no number pad)

I hear you.  Since T540 series, lenovo stopped being IBM and started being Lenovo with respect to Thinkpads.  They got their creative bone to work "wonders" with world's best keybaord on a laptop.  Dont screw something that works should have been followed but Lenovo did not.  

You have a few options: Buy a cheaper used T520 or T530 on Ebay both of which have no numpads or go for 14 inch laptop.  On as an alternative buy a cheaper entry level laptop for a few months until Lenovo releases what appears to be a revoluntionary design and laptop as mentioend above.  

Yes it sucks big time with Thinkpads with numpad on them.  That's why I am still with my 520.  Lenovo  = Are you feeling our pain? 

devnulljp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,286
Message 92 of 147

Re: Who would like a 15 inch ThinkPad that has a centered keyboard and trackpad (no number pad)

Just initiated a return on this 3-day-old E575. It's completely unusable. I hate this stupid keyboard.

Slow too.

TPadsFan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,250
Message 93 of 147

Can the Lenovo staff confirm if the yet to be released model with NO numpad ais also likely to have the option of two hard drive storage options such as a 2.5 inch HDD bay bay/slot and a second slot for PCIe NVME SSD slot as well?  This will help with scalability of a business/professional-grade laptop.     

Highlighted
JustMakesSense
What's DOS?
Views: 1,213
Message 94 of 147

Assuming that you're using a center keyboard you're aiming the P1 (if that's the one) at people who are willing to pass on a "free starndard feature you'd be silly not to get" (numpad) to improve functionality. Not an average user. Not a laptop to "accomodate as many customers as we can". You have all those other product lines to do that. This would be a laptop for a huge niche that wants function over form. Just to clarify, that means compromising looks in order to improve functionality, not a one liner you stick in your marketing materials to sound cool.

Having that target segment in mind, can't you increase the length of the hinges by less than 1mm, put thicker plastic around the screen to give more space for the keyboard (e.g. X201) and for the love of productivity, put in a keyboard with better key travel?

We are bashing our heads trying to figure out why you sacrifice key travel instead of increasing it back to 2.3mm and giving us a laptop that is, say, 29.7mm thick instead of 29.1mm, and has much better keyboard. Finally we should be able to stop scouring amazon and ebay for W520/30 and T520/30 and giving Lenovo £0 for what we buy.

We do not care if the laptop is 0.6mm thicker. We DO WANT the best possible keyboard you can provide (centered, key travel, antibacterial surface). For the most part, that's why we use Thinkpads.

People keep thrashing new Lenovo keyboards. Just imagine someone actually saying "hey, the keyboards on Thinkpads from way back are the best keyboards ever... and that new one, it's even better!".

mareluce
HDMI
Views: 1,200
Message 95 of 147

Great post. I really hope the keyboard on this one is primo.
D_A_K
What's DOS?
Views: 1,136
Message 96 of 147

@JustMakesSenseJustMakesSense wrote:

Assuming that you're using a center keyboard you're aiming the P1 (if that's the one) at people who are willing to pass on a "free starndard feature you'd be silly not to get" (numpad) to improve functionality. Not an average user. Not a laptop to "accomodate as many customers as we can". You have all those other product lines to do that. This would be a laptop for a huge niche that wants function over form. Just to clarify, that means compromising looks in order to improve functionality, not a one liner you stick in your marketing materials to sound cool.

Having that target segment in mind, can't you increase the length of the hinges by less than 1mm, put thicker plastic around the screen to give more space for the keyboard (e.g. X201) and for the love of productivity, put in a keyboard with better key travel?

We are bashing our heads trying to figure out why you sacrifice key travel instead of increasing it back to 2.3mm and giving us a laptop that is, say, 29.7mm thick instead of 29.1mm, and has much better keyboard. Finally we should be able to stop scouring amazon and ebay for W520/30 and T520/30 and giving Lenovo £0 for what we buy.

We do not care if the laptop is 0.6mm thicker. We DO WANT the best possible keyboard you can provide (centered, key travel, antibacterial surface). For the most part, that's why we use Thinkpads.

People keep thrashing new Lenovo keyboards. Just imagine someone actually saying "hey, the keyboards on Thinkpads from way back are the best keyboards ever... and that new one, it's even better!".

Exactly, if it's going to be a full-sized laptop like that, you might as well thicken it up and give it a better keyboard and more options. The X1C and similar lines can compete with the MacBooks and Dell XPSes. 

There's room for both. Thinnest is not best.

mareluce
HDMI
Views: 1,131
Message 97 of 147

@Jon_P >> As mentioned in other threads, we are heavily reliant on Intel's CPU schedule.

I haven't been keeping up with Intel's latest trains / schedules.  Does any one know what CPU Jon is likely referring to? 

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,097
Message 98 of 147

+1

Please build 15" laptops without numberpad or at least give the option to remove it and centre the keyboard as on the T480.

Numberpads are something I never used in the past 30 years, and causes the following issues:
- highly unergonomic typing experience and wrist pain compared to centred keyboards
Better solution: MacBook or Dell XPS series (but their keys are only average with tiny arrow keys and very small and thin letters)

- squashed keys

I still do not understand why you had to reduce the size of some keys on the Lenovo X280 series when the chassis still leaves so much space on each side. This is especially an issue for European (UK, German, French, Spanish) keyboards.

Also, a major problem I have with Lenovo keyboards is:

- the physically swapped Ctrl + Fn keys which is very annoying
Mac users will not switch to Lenovo because of this feature (they usually stay with Mac, and Lenovo is neither a sexy brand nor builds good displays or decent speakers to be of any interest to Macbook users), but instead Windows users will choose other laptops/keyboards because it is causing regular mistyping and is a non-value adding design faux pas. being able to switch them back via BIOS is still not a good solution as the keys are sized differently

- external Lenovo ThinkPad keyboards have very low quality and poor typing feedback compared to ThinkPad laptops

- ThinkPad T450 backlight does not automaticall turn on by default and needs to be manually turned on after every restart (defied the purpose of backlight when you have to turn it on all the time unlike Dell and HP and all other laptop manufacturere)

- arrow keys are not evenly sized and still a bit on the small size although the chassis on all laptops leave enough space for full sized arrow keys.

Former Employee
Views: 1,077
Message 99 of 147

I am not sure you saw the post by Lenovo after I started this string, but they mentioned that a 15 inch ThinkPad with a centered keyboard and touchpad will be announced and launched in the near future.

nonrandom
Paper Tape
Views: 1,061
Message 100 of 147

Throwing my hat in the ring for wanting this too!  I'd love to be able to get a keyboard like on the Thinkpad 25 but with a larger screen that covers more sRGB, Dolby Vision would be excellent.

I also hope that it has optional LTE support, along with an M.2 2280 and room for a 2.5" SSD, and power bridge support.

If this is waiting for the 2nd half of the Intel production schedule this year, does this mean it will have the chips with Spectre variants 2 & 3 hardware fixes?

Top Kudoed Authors