cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 15,972
Message 1 of 158

Who would like a 15 inch ThinkPad that has a centered keyboard and trackpad (no number pad)

We used to have 15 inch ThinkPads with centered keyboards and trackpads.  Who would again like this type of model?  It seems that it would take a minimal development to use the same keyboard as the 14 inch ThinkPads and a larger top cover with a centered trackpad.   Maybe if enough customers comment it will happen again.

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,805
Message 2 of 158

Betreff: Who would like a 15 inch ThinkPad that has a centered keyboard and trackpad (no number pad)

My P51 has a numberpad I never use. Its not a dealbreaker, but its just a little bit annyoing, even though I got used to having the numberpad. I would definitely prefer having no numberpad, its visually much nicer to have a centered keyboard.

As for the T-Series: With the T570, Lenovo greatly reduced the bezel size, which is great. However: With less bezel, this meant that Lenovo couldn´t fit in a full-size keyboard + numberpad. Instead, the T570 has a shrunk keyboard with a normal size numberpad. As someone who strongly prefers a full-size keyboard, this seems like a bad decision to me. Either have the no-numberpad option or at least use a full-size keyboard + a shrunk down numberpad.

Guru
Views: 15,803
Message 3 of 158

Re: Who would like a 15 inch ThinkPad that has a centered keyboard and trackpad (no number pad)

Yes that would be great or at least have an option.  If no option then i prefer no numpad.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

johncena2121
What's DOS?
Views: 15,639
Message 4 of 158

Re: Who would like a 15 inch ThinkPad that has a centered keyboard and trackpad (no number pad)

Absolutely, I would love to have this option.  I like the 15 inch screen size but I hate the off center keyboard and numpad! I  I would much rather have a centered, full size keyboard without the numpad.   

kktss
Paper Tape
Views: 15,627
Message 5 of 158

Yes. I currently have T530 and one of the main reasons why I am reluctant to upgrade to equivalent model in the newest gen is that 15inch models nolonger have centered keyboard.

evening_hunger
What's DOS?
Views: 15,599
Message 6 of 158

Of course I would like such a machine - mainly because of the symmetry that would be restored this way. Centered keyboard and trackpoint makes the machine (1) much more aesthetically pleasing (2) more stable when used on the laps.

Such a machine would directly compete with XPS 15. Please make it happen. Of course, models with numpad are still needed. I'd preferably see a T series 15'' model without a numpad, and a P series with it. This seems most justified combination.

jayk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,576
Message 7 of 158

I would absolutely positively like to see this.  I went from a T530 to a T460p.  I often wish for a little more real-estate, but I can't stand the off-center trackpad on the new 15" machines.  PLEASE PLEASE BUILD THIS (and not just a P51... something a bit smaller like a T570/P51s please Smiley Happy.

acangiano
What's DOS?
Views: 15,057
Message 8 of 158

I bought a powerful P51 and I love it. My only two complaints are:

1. The off-centered keyboard. It's an ergonomic disaster. I either have to place the laptop off balance on my lap or shift my shoulders. Neither of which is optimal.

2. When I scroll with two fingers, the touchpad will give me random clicks here and there. The only way I found to prevent this from happening is disabling "tap with a single finger to single-click". Which makes using the laptop even more inconvenient for me.

The latter is an annoying problem, right? Yet, if I could choose to have only one of the two problems fixed, it would opt for a centered keyboard.
mjwinter
Paper Tape
Views: 15,022
Message 9 of 158

My w520 has both a centered keyboard and a numberpad that can be used by pressing numlock (fn+scrlk). The numbers are the uiojklm,. keys. Works great and I use it all the time. You can have the best of both worlds.

D_A_K
What's DOS?
Views: 14,961
Message 10 of 158

I want one more than anything.

I'm basically nursing my W520 because there's no modern machine that is an acceptable replacement for it. I'd pre-order a similar style machine made today. I absolutely would want one.

I'm a dev (and pivoting toward infosec), and a numpad is basically a waste of space for me, and I'd much rather have a centred trackpoint/trackpad and just put whitespace on the sides if one has to. It doesn't even need to be speakers like the W520, just put plastic there, that's fine. Whatever needs to be done to get a centred keyboard with no numpad.

Not going to lie, the 7-row in the retro would be preferable, but I'd take either the chiclets or 7-row, just centre the keybpard in a 15".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors