Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

08-30-2009

australia

6 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 2

WiFi Link 5300 - Security Restricted Speed

2009-08-30, 11:10 AM

According to the Intel website my Link 5300 connection speed will be restricted to 54Mbps over any 801.11n connection. It says I wont get maximum connection speed unless I change over to AES security protocols instead of WPA or variants.

There were no setup instructions about using AES when I was setting up my new T400s. I cant find any information about this on my T400s or online at Lenovo.

This is not one of my areas of expertise so I would appreciate some help to ensure I've set up my Link 5300 correctly to get maximum connection speeds.

Options

163 Posts

04-04-2009

Davis, CA

250 Signins

2705 Page Views

• Views: 2705
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: WiFi Link 5300 - Security Restricted Speed

2009-08-30, 20:00 PM

AES is a security encryption algorithm. WPA is just a standard.

You cannot configure your wireless adapter card to use a specific standard / encryption algorithm if your router / access point you are trying to connect does not support it. Usually Windows automatically chooses the correct standards that your router supports and will use that.

In order to use the AES algorithm, you will need to go in your router and have your security standard set to WPA or WPA2. If your router supports WPA2, it is highly recommended that you select this since it is more secure than its predecessor. Once you do this, your router should prompt you in what algorithm to use, TKIP, AES, or TKIP+AES. If all your wireless clients support this, you can select WPA2 / AES.

This should match what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms