Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
domino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,016
Message 1 of 20

WiFi problem - No internet / DNS Not working

Hi,

I installed 64bit Windows 7 on my T500, and I'm having problems when connecting to wireless networks.

Everything works fine with wired networks, but when I connect to a wireless network (any wireless network) DNS isnt working.

I can ping and connect to websites using IP, but it refuses to resolve domain names. I have verified that the correct DNS servers are beeing used.

I have installed all the drivers supplied by Lenovos system update + some beta drivers from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/WIN7-BETA.html, but at this time I'm no longer sure what drivers are beta and whats release.

Software & drivers installed:

Access Connections version 5.42 build 6JC725WW

Realtek 11b/g/m Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II (driver version 2007.2.1103.2009)

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (driver version 6.1.7600.16385

Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks,

Trygve

jpalmatier
Paper Tape
Views: 47,918
Message 2 of 20

Re: WiFi problem - No internet / DNS Not working

Hi Trygve,

I have encountered the same problem and while I do not know the cause I have been able to get it working.  btw - I have tried both WIndows 7 x64 wireless manager and Access Connections and both result in the same DNS error - so my assumption is it is inherent in WIndows 7.

Anyway

- disconnect from the access point.

- run command line from either the Start - Run command and typing "CMD" or from All Programs - Accessories - Run - "CMD"

- type "ipconfig /flushdns" at the cursor

you should get a notice telling you the flush was successful

close the Command window

Reconnect with the wireless access point.

That should work -

It appears to be random - I move around a lot and it does not always occur.  The seems like there may be a correlation with resuming from standby but so far not sure.

Thanks,

Jeff

domino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 47,847
Message 3 of 20

Thanks Jeff, but I'm afraid it didnt work Smiley Sad

I suppose the problem isnt the same after all. This is not something that happens every now and then for me either - its a constant.

Thanks,

Trygve

domino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 47,642
Message 4 of 20

Any other suggestions to this problem?

domino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 47,507
Message 5 of 20

Another related question. How can I tell exactly what wireless card my laptop is equipped with?

The driver I'm using (downloaded through windows update I belive) is called "11b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II" in device manager, but I know several others with the same laptop/OS where device manager says "Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN".

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 47,495
Message 6 of 20

domino wrote:

Another related question. How can I tell exactly what wireless card my laptop is equipped with?

Look in the device manager, it should show you what WIFi card type is installed.

There are at least three different WiFi cards that are configurable for the CTO models.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
domino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 47,459
Message 7 of 20

I finally found a solution. Seems like there is a compatibility problem with my VPN-software and the wireless drivers. (even when not using VPN). When disabling "Shrew soft lightweight filter" for the wireless connection Internet works fine - but then again I will no longer be able to use VPN over wireless which is a problem for me as well.

shThink400
Fanfold Paper
Views: 47,442
Message 8 of 20

here you can find your WiFi adapter drivers: 

go to www.realtek.com.tw and download the latest 8192SE series driver and setup the new drivers manually!

dmaples
Paper Tape
Views: 47,225
Message 9 of 20

I have had this happen now on three seperate Lenovo laptops. They are the 4446-25U model. This is the THIRD time that this exact same problem has manifested in this model of laptop. I am in a corporate environment and all systems are joined to the domain.

All are running the XP Pro downgrade. All will ping both internal and external IP addresses, but will not resolve the domain name (neither internal or external). All were working fine, then suddenly began with this issue that I have so far been unable to resolve. I cannot see that any software has been installed to create a Layered Service Provider issue which seems to be the only thing that matches symptoms with what I am seeing according to MS. Previously when the the first laptop did this about 3 mos ago, I restored it using the Vista restore discs, and had to forego the XP Pro downgrade. I didn't have time to tinker with it, so I just restored it with Vista and went on. I have now seen two more inside of a week with exactly the same issue. DNS does not work. DNS services have been stopped and re-started, DNS has been both statically assigned, as well as handled by DHCP, new user account created, all unneccesary software removed, and several other seemingly un-related things changed around to see if anything would work, and I cannot get DNS to resolve names.

If anyone has seen this issue please post here. I think it's odd that this has happened now three times on three seperate laptops of the same model. I've seen screwy DNS problems before, but I think I can remember one or maybe two times in my career that DNS just refused to work for no rhyme or reason, and now I've seen two in a week!!

wardhead
Paper Tape
Views: 47,182
Message 10 of 20

I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours, but some of the symptoms sound similar.  I have a new T400 with 32-bit W7 and an Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN adapter.  I can connect to various wireless networks without a problem.  But after working for some random period of time, I lose my ability to connect to the Internet.  If I Diagnose the connection, it tells me that I cannot connect the DNS server.  I also cannot ping any URL or IP outside my network.  However, I can ping the router itself and connect to other computers on the LAN.

Powering down the wireless and reconnecting fixes the problem, but takes a long time.  After a lot of trial and error, I have figured out that if I enter "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew", my ability to browse the Internet is restored, at least temporarily.

This has happened to me on over five wireless networks with all different kinds of adapters, including my own which has never given me problems in the past, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the wireless networks or routers.  The problem does seem to be worse when the wireless signal is weaker.  I don't have any idea if this a problem with my particular machine, my Lenovo model, my wireless adapter, or Windows 7.  But I do know that it is extremely annoying.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors