Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkPadLinux
Paper Tape
Views: 487
Message 1 of 3

Win 7 Product key not working on official microsoft page

Hello,

I wanted to download Windows 7 home 64 Bit, but when I enter my product key(found in my battery compartment), Microsoft rejects it. I contacted technical support, and they said it was a problem with Lenovo, not with them. Is this true? Please help I really want W7 and don't want to risk trying to get it from any dodgy places.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 478
Message 2 of 3

Re: Win 7 Product key not working on official microsoft page

The key on the back is an OEM key, so Microsoft won't help.  I don't know if Lenovo still has OEM recovery disks, but you can try calling 1-800-426-7378.  Installing a fresh copy of windows 7 is difficult now because microsoft stopped maintaining and windows update doesn't work right.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 468
Message 3 of 3

Re: Win 7 Product key not working on official microsoft page

The problem is that you have on their online site is that you have an OEM product key, and they want you to go to Lenovo for recovery media, however, there is another option that can be found on Microsoft's Forum linked below, which is to use HeliDoc's download tool found here https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool to download the Windows 7 Home Premium (SP1) ISO.     Once you launch their tool, a box will come up asking fi you want to allow them to use your computers idle time for some project of theirs... I recommend that you select NO... after which you will be able to select Windows 7 >> Windows 7 Home Premium SP1  COEM >> English >> 64bit and download the Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_COEM_x64.iso

MS Forum post with alternate location for downlaoding Windows 7 home premium iso 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-home-premium-i...

I verified that the .ISO file downloaded from Heidoc is valid by comparing the SHA1 hash of Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_COEM_x64.iso  with the same file I downloaded earlier from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7, and both files have the same SHA1 hash value of 1E0CDFAFB6A390E0E7E9F54CE99395EE42A59DE0,  which means that both .ISO files are exactly the same.

FYI - Microsoft is still going to be providing support and security Updates for Windows 7 until January 14, 2020

Cheers,

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors