cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
viochemist
Paper Tape
Views: 339
Message 1 of 3

Win8/T500 headphone jack stopped working. Conextant Audio Software issue?

I have a T500 - 2081CTO, and in the last week or less, the headphone jack has stopped working. There was a windows update recently so I'm assuming that's the culprit. I typically let it do it's auto-update thing without paying much attention, so I don't know what exactly changed or why it would kill the headphone jack. I've tried looking for Conextant drivers, but those don't seem to have changed since 2011. Win8 and the T500 has always been a bit flaky, but this at least has always worked. How can I test that it's the software and not a hardware issue? And if it is software related, what do I need to fix it?

viochemist
Paper Tape
Views: 318
Message 2 of 3

Re: Win8/T500 headphone jack stopped working. Conextant Audio Software issue?

Following the suggestion of my beloved brother, I stepped back through restore points and found one 2 weeks ago where sound still works. Since that time, I had installed a Java Dev Kit, SVN, redistributable C++, pando media booster, and Firefox. I'm leaning towards PMB being the culprit, but it's hard to say exactly. Windows critical updates (the first step back) didn't change anything.
viochemist
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 3 of 3

Re: Win8/T500 headphone jack stopped working. Conextant Audio Software issue?

I now think that it's possible there wasn't a "problem" so much as an inconvenience. While at home, I incrementally re-installed everything that I still wanted and saw no problems with the headphone jack. However, once I returned to work and connected the laptop to my dock with USB speakers, the USB always take precedence. Previously, the computer would recognize that headphones were plugged in and switch from USB to internal (ie. headphone jack) as default, and switch back to USB when the headphones were removed, always skipping the on-board speakers. That ability now seems to be missing and I need to manually set the internal speakers as default whenever I plug in headphones and manually back to USB when they're removed. Is there any way to get this functionality back? I loved how it "just worked" before. Now it's "just broken".
Top Kudoed Authors