Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 31 of 56 (1,648 Views)

Re: Windows 10 creator update breaks Lenovo dock monitor output?

The issue dad, is that since the creator update, it breaks the proper resolution coming out from the dock no matter what the power setting is. Even with just the laptop screen turning off when closed, the dock is no longer properly recognizing the resolution of plugged in dock monitors vs the anniversary update didn't cause this

Lenovo Staff
Message 32 of 56 (1,616 Views)

StefanThon wrote:

We have some problems with T460S, Ultradock and Windows 10 1703 as well, but a little different then previously posted.

Our Notebooks are set to go into standby when the lid closes.

Our problem is as following:

The internal Laptop Display is always active in Windows. It's dark when the lid is closed, but for Windows it's as if the notebook is open and the display is there.

With 1607 The amount of available Display varied between lid open and lid closed. That doesn't happen anymore with 1703.

Example:

Windows 10 1607 - Laptop in Ultradock, two external Display connected:

Lid open: Windows Shows three screens. Everything is good.

Lid closed: Windows Shows two screens - only the external ones. Everything is good.

Windows 10 1703 - Laptop in Ultradock, two external Display connected:

Lid open: Windows Shows three screens. Everything is good.

Lid Closed: Windows Shows three screens. Everything is bananas as it still keeps the internal display as primary. People can't even login without opening the lid. Also, some screens appear on the screen that is closed.

I was able to reproduce this here as well, in my case, I have only 1 external display attached to dock and the display mode is set to "Extend":

1.  with system undocked, close the lid.  system goes into sleep mode

2.  place system on the dock, leave lid closed, and press dock power button.  system wakes up

3.  although dock monitor wakes up, login screen is not shown on the dock monitor.  It's just black screen.  It shows mouse pointer if I move the mouse over to the dock monitor (e.g. in extended display mode).  

4.  must open lid to see the login screen

My next step is to test the latest insider build to see if MSFT already fixed their bug or not.

Punch Card
Message 33 of 56 (1,612 Views)

Let me know what you find someguy, I just haven't had time on my end to deal with being Microsofts guinea pig of "hot fixes"

Lenovo Staff
Message 34 of 56 (1,604 Views)

I confirmed that StefanThon's issue is fixed in Win10 insider build 16241.  I can no longer reproduce a scenario where the primary display is going to the laptop internal screen where the lid is closed.  So it seems MSFT fixed this bug.

There are a couple other issues reported in this thread:

1.  dock monitor never turns on (with lid close action set as "Do Nothing")

2.  wrong resolution output to dock

I *think* these issues may also be solved but I want to test some more.  But it may be tomorrow until I have more time to spend on this.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Message 35 of 56 (1,562 Views)

[ Edited ]

After more testing on Win10 insider build 16241, I believe all of the issues reported in this thread are fixed.  If anyone else wants to test the insider build and confirm my findings, I would really appreciate it.

We asked MSFT to fix their bugs in Win10 1703 and they declined to do so.  We encourage everyone impacted by MSFT's bugs to report the bugs directly to MSFT.  They really don't listen to us.

Meanwhile, my advice is for everyone that needs functional docking to stay on 1607.

Punch Card
Message 36 of 56 (1,533 Views)

I'll do some NON sensitive client testing and see how it behaves with that hotfix patch and report back

Fanfold Paper
Message 37 of 56 (1,522 Views)

These issues most definitely are NOT fixed. Even with the insider build I cannot get my laptop to detect any monitors connected to the dock (Display Port OR VGA). I know this thread has gone on a wild tangent over the past few weeks, but the original issues is NOT RESOLVED.

Lenovo Staff
Message 38 of 56 (1,516 Views)

[ Edited ]

schnabel45

Can you please tell me what ThinkPad and what dock you are using?  And what specific issue are you having?  The original issue of this thread is about ultra dock and pro dock, and how the dock monitors don't work until the laptop lid is opened (when lid-closed action is "do nothing").  Sounds like you might be using a different dock and have a different issue?  I would like to try to reproduce it here.

Fanfold Paper
Message 39 of 56 (1,501 Views)

Lenovo X1 Yoga paired with the Thinkpad OneLink+ Dock. After the creators update it stopped detecting monitors connected to the dock.

Lenovo Staff
Message 40 of 56 (1,489 Views)

[ Edited ]

schnabel45 wrote:

Lenovo X1 Yoga paired with the Thinkpad OneLink+ Dock. After the creators update it stopped detecting monitors connected to the dock.

So there is nothing at all that you can do to make the dock monitor work?  If so, it's the first time I've heard this report.  All the other problems in this thread have some (usually inconvenient) work-around.  Meanwhile I will try to reproduce that tomorrow.

Top kudoed Authors