cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 3,080
Message 1 of 9

Windows Update installing Lenovo System software?

I recently installed Win 10 64 bit 1809 from downloaded media on my T440s with a brand new SSD.

Everything works fine and is up to date. I had been interested to see how things worked before installing any Lenovo software or drivers.

Now windows Update is offering "Lenovo - System 10.0.88.0":

CaptureLenovo.PNG

My questions:

1. What exactly is this going to install?

2. What Lenovo software is important to install on top of a vanilla Windows installation?

3. For an older PC like the T440s, should I be relying on Lenovo or Windows to decide what drivers to install?

Guru
Views: 3,050
Message 2 of 9

Re: Windows Update installing Lenovo System software?

I have the same question.  I ran Vantage and there are no updates yet Windows update shows the below.  Also I searched for those version numbers and nothing came up on Lenovo support site.

snip.PNG

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,992
Message 3 of 9

@ianw01 wrote:

Now windows Update is offering "Lenovo - System 10.0.88.0":

CaptureLenovo.PNG

This is referring to "Lenovo Power Manager" which is installed in Device Manager -> System Devices.  It provides the Power functions in Lenovo Vantage.  If you don't have Lenovo Vantage installed, it does nothing.  This driver was previously included in Lenovo Vantage but due to some new Microsoft rules, it now comes from Windows Update instead.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,988
Message 4 of 9

@green5178 wrote:

snip.PNG.

The Intel 25.20.100.6519 is referring to the display driver.  

The Lenovo 1.0.88.0 is referring to the "Lenovo Power Manager" driver as I explained in my previous post.

The Intel 1.41.536.0 is referring to the Thunderbolt.  But you should only see this version on T490/T590 and not on any previous ThinkPad.  Can you please confirm it?

Guru
Views: 2,970
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

You are correct.  That snip was from T490.  In the past I only did Lenovo updates.  Based on your response does that mean now Windows update may provide updates that arent available from Vantage and I should accept them?

thanks!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,950
Message 6 of 9

The "Lenovo Power Manager" is a special situation, and it only comes from Windows Update at this time.  The other 2 drivers you mentioned will be on System Update (and Vantage) soon.  T490 is still brand new and these drivers were published to the support website very recently.  It takes some extra time to get them into System Update.  Recent Microsoft rules require us to put every driver in Windows Update as part of the WHQL logo process.  Going forward, drivers will usually be on Windows Update before they are released to the support website and System Update.

ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 2,880
Message 7 of 9

Thank you @someotherguy for the helpful replies.

A couple of follow-ups, if I may:

1. That update from the screenshot is no longer displayed in that updates panel, but nor is it listed in the Update History in any of the "Driver", "Quality" or "Other" sections. It is not in my Control Panel list of apps. I assume that it did get done.  Is this post-install invisibility expected?

2. From what you said before, I'm still unsure about getting drivers from Windows Update or Lenovo Update for an older model (i.e. T440s). Which one should be the primary source of drivers, and which one the "Plan B" in case of trouble?

Thank you

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,884
Message 8 of 9

@ianw01 wrote:

1. That update from the screenshot is no longer displayed in that updates panel, but nor is it listed in the Update History in any of the "Driver", "Quality" or "Other" sections. It is not in my Control Panel list of apps. I assume that it did get done.  Is this post-install invisibility expected?

Look in Device Manager -> System Devices -> Lenovo Power Manager -> click on the "Driver" tab and you should see version 10.0.88.0 which Windows Update installed.  But I don't know why Windows Update calls it "Lenovo - System" instead of "Lenovo Power Manager", or why it isn't listed in the Windows Update installation history.  You might find it listed in the informational events section of Reliability Monitor (type "View Reliability History" into the start menu).

2. From what you said before, I'm still unsure about getting drivers from Windows Update or Lenovo Update for an older model (i.e. T440s). Which one should be the primary source of drivers, and which one the "Plan B" in case of trouble?

Microsoft requires us to put hardware drivers in Windows Update, so this is where most drivers will come from, unless you disable Windows Update.  As a matter of process, we will also put drivers on the support website, and eventually, into System Update.  So I think the primary source of drivers today is Windows Update, regardless of whether it's an older model or newer model.  System Update is still needed to get software (such as Hotkeys) and firmware (such as BIOS, Intel ME, Thunderbolt, etc) because these things aren't in Windows Update.

ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 2,828
Message 9 of 9

Well, that update re-appeared for whatever reason - so that is why I could not find evidence of it having been done.

After applying  the update (no reboot requested) the Device Manager -> System Devices -> Lenovo Power Manager driver had been updated from 10.0.56.0 to 10.0.80.0. All good!

And thank you for the clarification on driver!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors