Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmy09
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,187
Message 1 of 11

Wireless frustrations

I have a T400 laptop currently and lately i have wireless problems and it happens very frequently (sometimes even happens every 1 hour). Ok my wireless connection is WEP and i went through the troubleshooting and it says maybe it is because the wireless connection is WEP will cause some problems but my ideapad S10-2 netbook has no problem..so im quite sure it shouldn't be my connection. the wireless adapter(intel(R) wireless WiFi Link 5300) and the access connections and the internet icon would be in the taskbar..when im using the computer, the wireless adaptor would suddenly show no signal and i will have problem surfing the net..so i assumed i have lost connection with my router. However, the access connections and internet icon are still showing they are still connected. So I tried to go to access connections to see my connection. I press Fn + F5 which is the keys to press to have the access connections. It didn't work. So i tried another way by clicking the access connections at the taskbar..It also didn't work. So i went to Start and search "access connections" and i clicked ..access connections is not responding! so whenever the laptop loses connection with my wireless connection..i have to reboot my computer..and during the time when the com is shutting down..it takes a lot more time than usual..approx 5mins usually. Another problem i have is that sometimes i booted my com, my access connections showed that it is disconnected but my internet icon and my wireless adaptor are still connected..any help is appreciated.thank you

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,120
Message 2 of 11

Re: Wireless frustrations

Welcome to the wonderful world of Intel 3500 AND OR Lenovo laptops:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Brand-new-Thinkpad-T500-w-Intel-5100-Wirele...

My wife's laptop drops the connection every 2-3 minutes. My work laptop is fine, so it's not the router. Sorry... Smiley Sad

slip
Punch Card
Views: 1,114
Message 3 of 11

Any errors in the Event Viewer?

On my system I have the following two Intel Wireless Services running.

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log Service  EvtEng.exe 

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service  RegSrvc.exe

Not sure if these Services are required to maintain a reliable connection.

T500 ~ T9400 2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2 ~ Vista 32bit Home ~ WXGA 15.4 LED ~ ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 ~ 4GB ram ~ Camera ~ 160GB 7200rpm HD ~ Intel Turbo Memory 2GB ~ CD-RW/DVD ~ Intel WiFi 5300
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,063
Message 4 of 11

I fought something (sort of) like this for weeks.  My most frequent symptom was a "local only" connection when switching access points or from wired to wireless.  Access connections would hang for variously long times.  Fiddled with MS and Lenovo software, replaced the 5300, no joy.

The final resolution was support sending me a 5100 to try.  It's been rock solid since then.  Not pretty, but at least a solution - for me anyway.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,050
Message 5 of 11

Figures - is it easy to replace the wireless card?

takedown
Token Ring
Views: 1,047
Message 6 of 11

Is a hardware problem? or MS driver problem?

I ask because my t500 have a realtek 8192se, and this card haven't support under GNU/Linux, and one week ago, I buy a intel wifi link 5300, and your story sound like a very bad new for me.

PS: sorry my bad english

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,044
Message 7 of 11

@stodge wrote:

Figures - is it easy to replace the wireless card?

It's not too bad.  Just takes a little nerve.  Slow and easy does it.

It's under the keyboard.  There are pretty good instructions on Lenovo's support site.   Use your model number to track them down.   For my machine:

Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T400 and R400

Be particularly careful with the *tiny* antenna connectors.  The 5300 uses 3.  The 5100 uses two, and you have to stow the unused one in a safe place in the machine.

I'm not saying that a 5100 will fix your problem, just that it did for me.  If you can get support to send you one, it's worth a shot.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,043
Message 8 of 11

@takedown wrote:

Is a hardware problem? or MS driver problem?

Sad to say, I don't know.  Even the tech who suggested it didn't know.  He just said that he had seen a downgrade solve the problem.  I suspect it is a driver vs. hardware issue.  Not everyone has the problem that I experienced, but many do.  There is a lot of chatter about it on the web.

Z.

takedown
Token Ring
Views: 1,040
Message 9 of 11

thanks for the info

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,036
Message 10 of 11

I can't remember if the laptop is still in warranty - it might have a month left. I have a friend who used to service Lenovo laptops so he offered to replace it. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors