Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew250
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,561
Message 1 of 22

Won't turn off from Airplane Mode, Windows 10, T430s - Wifi won't work

Hello,

Suddenly today, my WiFi connection won't work. The computer is in Airplane mode and won't turn off. I tried: 

-- Lenovo updates, which included flashing the BIOS to the latest verison

-- Reinstalling the wireless drivers

-- I installed some other updates, like ThinkPad settings dependency. 

This is a machine that had Windows 7 initially, now upgraded to Windows 10. The WiFi adapter was often needing to be reset prior to this happening. Is this a software thing or could it be a hardware failure? It works perfectly fine when connected with a cable. 

Help. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 48,542
Message 2 of 22

Re: Won't turn off from Airplane Mode, Windows 10, T430s - Wifi won't work

Welcome, Andrew250

Probably, disabling airplane power mode might help, at least as a workaround. Do it by applying the registry key, then reboot laptop:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\AirplaneMode]
"DisableAirplaneModeAutoDetection"=dword:00000001

From here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/W540-charging-bug-WiFi-OFF-no-charge/m-p...

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Andrew250
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,469
Message 3 of 22

I finally got around to trying the Registry patch given to me, but it didn't work. I'm not a whiz at Registry editing, so maybe I did it wrong. I added the key but didn't delete anything. 

I restarted, and Airplane mode still won't turn off. It's the same as always now. 

I'm wondering if I can get a USB WiFi adapter? Would that even help? Seems like a stretch. If it's a Windows 10 thing, then the next step is to restore my laptop to Windows 7 and tell Microsoft to take a hike. Obviously Windows 10 isn't ready for prime time. 

paul_dethick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,453
Message 4 of 22

You can swap out the wireless module for a new one quite easily, its on the base of the unit under the ram cover. Be careful not to get it mixed up with the 3g card though as thats also in there.

I have a T430s running Windows 10 and I've not had any issues with the wireless, however, i've not had it in airplane mode.

Just a thought the external Wifi switch on the case is in the on position isn't it? I've flicked mine off on my older X61 a few times without knowing it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 48,451
Message 5 of 22

Does the adapter exist in the Device Manager w/out errors?

Just these days we were discussing the same case with forum member in another board - BIOS upgrade, OS upgrade, wifi adapter won't work because of the airplan mode won't turn off.

After a lot of tests and efforts I've adviced him to reset BIOS/EC state:
disconnect the power charger, external battery, press the power button and hold it during 20...30 seconds, assemble laptop, power on, enter BIOS Setup, load default BIOS settings, save, exit.

Voila, adapter issue is gone.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Andrew250
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,442
Message 6 of 22

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to work on a new Wifi card next. It seems plausible the card went bad. I was having issues with needing to reset the connection before this happened. There was no software or patch update before this suddenly happened. 

I worked with a Microsoft technician online last night, and she was pretty helpful at troubleshooting a lot of the easy things. Yes, there's a switch on the side of the laptop, and that has no effect on anything. 

I also tried the BIOS update from Lenovo. A BIOS reset by taking the battery out, etc. Microsoft had me create a new user, but no effect. They tried rolling back the driver to force an update. Strangely, there's an error on the driver update process saying it cannot install it. On a restart, the latest driver will come back. 

A new wireless card is not expensive, so that seems like a reasonable next step. Thanks again for the adivce. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 48,438
Message 7 of 22

Sometimes, the card removing-inserting resolves a lot of troubles (w/out power sources connected, of course) - freezing, static electricity, slot contact issues etc. The fact drivers installer couldn't install them might mean the system doesn't see the card's PCI IDs because of the causes abobe.

Andrew250
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,389
Message 8 of 22

New wireless card installed. I made sure to get the same one on the "approved" list for Lenovo. Started up again, NOTHING changed. 

At least I can rule out the hardware problem. Device Manager shows the new card is functioning properly, it says. Although I can't enable WiFi still because of Airplane mode. 

I chatted with Microsoft help (which was more help than I expected, I had low expectations), and they said to do an "install in place" of Windows 10 again. I'm going to try that next. 

If that doesn't work, I'm going to resort to restoring the system to Windows 7. Time consuming, but better than having to get a new laptop. 

Andrew250
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,369
Message 9 of 22

Reinstalling Windows 10 did nothing. Same problem. I seem to be now unable to go back to Windows 7 and my original factory settings, too. 

I'm running out of options. I don't see any way to contact a human with Lenovo support. Microsoft support takes hours and they keep having to go back to checking the simple obvious things again and again and again. The last technician asked me if I had tried to restart the machine. 

I could try a clean install of Windows 10 I suppose. Then if there's something in my upgrade that caused this problem, that would solve it. Anyone have any warnings about that? 

Or a USB wireless adapter. 

It's pretty clear this is a driver problem. Windows 10 has taken over the responsiblity to getting drivers. Intel says they can't help. Lenovo is silent and since they have such a limited set of wireless cards that work, there isn't much I can do with them. 

Andrew250
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,348
Message 10 of 22

Resetting Windows and removing a bunch of applications and pretty much anything from Lenovo got Airplane mode to turn off. But WiFi says it's on but the wireless card fails to enable. I have rolled back and updated the driver, tried all the BIOS reset stuff from before, pretty much ran the entire set of activities I did in the past. 

One interesting thing to note:  The update from Lenovo for the HID Radio Driver (says it enables the hardware switch, which I am guessing has somethign to do with the switch on the side of the laptop?) - when I install this, the permanent airplane mode comes back. 

I'm giving up on Windows 10. But, going to back to Windows 7 isn't easy. It's too late to restore my old system now (you only get 1 month to return according to Microsoft). I have ordered the Recovery CD-ROM from Lenovo for $51.03 now. Still cheaper than a new laptop. 

I could not find a Lenovo support number. The Contact Us pages and phone number lists all draw blank pages. No data. Luckily, I had the Priority access number still even though my priority access expired last Sept 2015. The man on the phone was able to order the discs for me. He confirmed there are many support problems around WiFi and Windows 10, and assured me that going back to Windows 7 is a viable option to consider. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors