Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcouzin
Paper Tape
Views: 501
Message 1 of 5

bloated Lenovo SSD/HDD firmware update tool

Lenovo Vantage is showing as a "critical update" the "Lenovo SSD and HDD Firmware Update Tool".  It would be nice to check the firmware on my Thinkpad's SSD, which, being OEM, can't be updated through the SSD manufacturer's tool.  However the Lenovo tool now offered occupies 635 MB on the drive, which is an unacceptable bloat.  I have only my one drive, and a firmware updater should be very much smaller than 635 MB. 

What to do?  Is it possible to uninstall the Lenovo tool after using it once?  That depends on how it installs.  But then can it be reinstalled many months later to recheck the currency of the firmware?  The installation file is just 95 MB, and it would be fine to keep that for later.  But do we get the installation file when we let Lenovo Vantage install the Tool?

Advice appreciated.

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 203
Message 2 of 5

Re: bloated Lenovo SSD/HDD firmware update tool

This situation of not being able to use the drive manufacturer's tools seems pretty lame.

For my drive the Samsung:  MZVLB1T0HALR-000L7 I have just been checking to see if there is a newer level than what is installed presently which is:  3L2QEXA7

I have a program called "Hard Disk Sentinel"  that displays all the drive configuration details,

I'm sure there are a bunch of other programs that would also give you the model number and firmware.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 184
Message 3 of 5

@dcouzin wrote:

Lenovo Vantage is showing as a "critical update" the "Lenovo SSD and HDD Firmware Update Tool".  It would be nice to check the firmware on my Thinkpad's SSD, which, being OEM, can't be updated through the SSD manufacturer's tool.  However the Lenovo tool now offered occupies 635 MB on the drive, which is an unacceptable bloat. 

It's a ~100 MB package that gets extracted into a temp folder that contains ~525 MB of files.  It's big because it contains firmware for every Lenovo OEM SSD from all of our suppliers.  It's not an application that gets installed.  Vantage should delete the temp folder and the package after updating the firmware for your particular drive.  If this is not the case, please let me know and I will investigate it.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 183
Message 4 of 5

@JimBobMC wrote:

I have a program called "Hard Disk Sentinel"  that displays all the drive configuration details,

I'm sure there are a bunch of other programs that would also give you the model number and firmware.

You don't need any special tool for this.  You can simply open a command prompt and enter this command, as shown below:

wmic diskdrive get caption, firmwarerevision

Capture.JPG

dcouzin
Paper Tape
Views: 156
Message 5 of 5

Thanks someotherguy for this advice.  I did the download.  It did update the SSD firmware.  It did seem to clean up after itself.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors