Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpeters2570
Paper Tape
Views: 736
Message 11 of 17

Re: can i disable 16 gb ssd on the t450

I am still having issues with this. I tried adding two partition steps with the WMI filter but I must have set them up wrong. 

When I image any of these models with the 14GB drive, I always get no OS found and if I try to boot from the 14 GB drive, Windows starts to load then fails. 

Diskpart shows this as disk 1, I tried to set the "Apply Operating System Step to install winodws to Disk 0 partition 0 and then Disk 0 Partition 1 but stil had no luck. 

Can you possibly post screen shots of your partition steps using the WMI filters?

Thanks, 

jpeters2570
Paper Tape
Views: 734
Message 12 of 17

Here are my settings. For the partition steps, I don't understand how the WMI query works since you have to specify a disk number in the variable.

partition1.JPGwmi1.JPGPartition2.JPGwmi2.JPGvariable.JPGos variable.JPG

mhartstein
Paper Tape
Views: 715
Message 13 of 17

Here are my screenshots - I didn't include the WMI filter shots because it is set up exactly as yours for the respective Format+Partition steps. (also, this is on MDT 2012)

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "variable"...

Only one of the two Format steps will run depending on whether the main disk # is 0, or if it is flipped and 16GB SSD is 0. If main disk is 0, only the first Format in your sequence will run and it assigns the "OSDisk" variable (in your example, "Default" in mine) to the partition on Disk 0. If the drive #s are flipped, the 2nd Format step will run instead and it will assign this variable to the partition it creates on Disk 1 (the main drive). The OS Install step then applies to whichever Disk # the variable contains.

Your setup looks like it should work, so I'm not sure what's up. Maybe check the logs for a failed attempt, first make sure the correct disk is getting formatted, and go from there.

One other thing I have in my sequence - which I don't think would affect you but you never know - are 2 steps that use the same WMI filters to basically call diskpart and format and hide the 16GB SSD, and set it read only (we don't use it and don't want our users accidentally saving things to it). Only one runs, depending on the Disk #. I don't think the OS install would get confused if we weren't doing this though...

1.PNG2.png3.PNG

jpeters2570
Paper Tape
Views: 695
Message 14 of 17

Thanks a bunch for the reply. The only difference I really see is that my partition steps have two partitions, the 350 MB system and then the OS on the remaining space. I will change this to match yours and see what happens and pull the SMSTS.log if it fails.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

jpeters2570
Paper Tape
Views: 676
Message 15 of 17

Capture.JPG

Can you explain the WMI filter? Does index in the WMI filter = the disk number? Should I have both filters in each partition step?

Thanks,

jpeters2570
Paper Tape
Views: 671
Message 16 of 17

OK, I finally got a machine to image. The only problem is it assigned the drive letter E: to the system drive. I think I can fix that with the OSDPreserveDriveLetter variable.

I will post the results after I try.

Thanks,

jpeters2570
Paper Tape
Views: 656
Message 17 of 17

I was able to set the drive letter variable and the OS installed on C:\ and the 16 GB drive was hidden.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors