Did you mean: 
agancz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,444
Message 1 of 6

changing OS from win7 pro 32 bit to 64bit

Greetings

Does anyone know if changing from 32 to 64 bit is;

1) legal. i.e. to use the 32bit OEM key and a 64 bit OEM media?

2) will Lenovo supply the media? for charge?

3) will this cause a general crash of drivers on the T410?

thx!!!!

Ady

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,432
Message 2 of 6

Re: changing OS from win7 pro 32 bit to 64bit

Win7 activation keys aren't specific to 32-bit or 64-bit.  They are only specific to the version of Win7 (e.g. pro, home, ultimate, etc).  However there is no way to easily upgrade from win7 32-bit to win7 64-bit.  You have to back up your files, format your HDD and install 64-bit OS from scratch, re-install your programs, and then restore your files.  I don't think Lenovo will provide you the media for an OS that didn't originally ship on your computer.  If you were to find an retail OS install DVD on your own, I don't think the OEM key on the sticker on the bottom of your computer will work.  It definitely won't activate online - possibly you could activate it over the phone but I don't know for sure (you would need to ask Microsoft about that).

For what reason do you want 64-bit OS?  Do you have 4 GB of RAM in your system?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,425
Message 3 of 6

Re: changing OS from win7 pro 32 bit to 64bit

Lenovo will provide the 64 bit recovery media under the condition that the thinkpad was originally shipped with windows 7. If you meet that criteria you can call lenovo and request the 64 bit recovery media and pay a nominal 50 usd service and handling charge.

Alternatively you can legally download the windows 7 installation iso from the web just google Notebookreview windows 7 iso download. The OEM serial no. can activate both retail or OEM installation.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
agancz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,414
Message 4 of 6

Betreff: changing OS from win7 pro 32 bit to 64bit

Thanks for the answers!

Yes, I do have 4GB, and also, I think that in the near future most apps will be 64 and I don't want to have to change OS then, after the computer already has tons of stuff on it (it is new, but I got the 32bit).

What about drivers though??? Will everything stop working (wireless etc. ) and will I have to spend hours installing 64bit drivers?

Ady

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,416
Message 5 of 6

Lenovo provides driver for both 32 bit and 64 bit OS, so you don't need to worry about that.

Although most of the drivers will be automatically updated by Windows 7, there will be some drivers that you need to download and install it yourself.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,340
Message 6 of 6

@agancz wrote:

Thanks for the answers!

Yes, I do have 4GB, and also, I think that in the near future most apps will be 64 and I don't want to have to change OS then, after the computer already has tons of stuff on it (it is new, but I got the 32bit).

What about drivers though??? Will everything stop working (wireless etc. ) and will I have to spend hours installing 64bit drivers?

Ady

When running a 64bit version of Windows you also get more security since the 64bit OS will use some extra instructions.

Security Advantages in using Windows 64-bit

Protecting computers is not limited anymore by relying to antivirus and firewall. You are also no longer limited to protecting your PC by adding or modifying settings or group policy in Windows. Microsoft has enhanced security in Windows 64-bit that is not available in 32-bit:

• Hardware-based Data Execution Prevention (DEP): Modern CPUs are now supporting hardware-based DEP but only 64-bit of Windows supports hardware-based DEP. More information DEP here.
  • Driver Signing: 64-bit of Windows will only allow installation of device drivers that is digitally signed by its developer. With Windows 32-bit, unsigned drivers is allowed to be installed which most beta-testers require for they cannot continue testing if the program they want to test is still holding a digitally signed drivers. [You can still install unsigned drivers in 64-bit Windows if you need too]
  • Kernel Patch Protection (PatchGuard): One type of malware is called Rootkit. If you have 64-bit edition of Windows, you can enjoy protection against kernel-based rootkits. You can also avoid BSOD if you have 64-bit edition of Windows because PatchGuard does not allow any drivers to modify the kernel in Windows. Most bad driver or drivers that will modify kernel in Windows was seen the cause of BSOD or instability in Windows.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors