Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 27,761
Message 1 of 33

cursor jumps when typing

I see a bit of chatter on this here and on the web, but no solutions that I can find.

When typing in a document, in wordpad for instance, the cursor (and text entry point) will suddenly jump elsewhere.  Typically up a couple of lines.  Since it happens while typing, I end up corrupting the document.

Disabling the touch pad does not solve the problem.

Clues?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

outouser
Not applicable
Views: 27,645
Message 2 of 33

Re: cursor jumps when typing

does same problem occur when using external USB keyboard?
zilla
Not applicable
Views: 27,638
Message 3 of 33

Happens to me too and as you say also after having disabled the touch pad.

Always thought it was me touching some other key on the keyboard, could just never figure out which one. Fortunately undo most often restores the text.

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

fmyhr
Not applicable
Views: 27,631
Message 4 of 33

That's a weird one! I haven't noticed that it's happened to me yet, knock on wood.

Just a thought: have you tried disabling the touch pad in BIOS?

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
andyP
Not applicable
Views: 27,629
Message 5 of 33

Just throwing a thought into the pot; I note that the touchpad has been turned off and the cursor is still "jumping", is the press to select function for the trackpoint also turned off?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

zilla
Not applicable
Views: 27,593
Message 6 of 33

I checked and press to select was turned off on my T500. As I didn't know I had the option I doubt I ever had it turned on. Smiley Happy

Is it a new function? I couldn't find the option on my T42.

But as Zoltan says, it's while typing -- suddenly one finds oneself typing in a different part of the text -- in the middle of a word --  the second half ot the word and following words appear in a random earlier part of the document. Happens to me also when posting to the forums in Firefox.

Message Edited by zilla on 2009-06-04 03:31 PM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

swg0101
Not applicable
Views: 27,446
Message 7 of 33

What about this?

Link to Image

Doesn't seem like it would fix the problem, but who knows Smiley Happy

Moderator Note; image >50K which provoked horizontal scrollling converted to link. Forum Rules.

Message Edited by andyP on 06-05-2009 10:45 PM
zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 27,433
Message 8 of 33

@swg0101 wrote:

What about this?

[link to PalmCheck]

Not a bad suggestion.  I should have said that I already tried that before trying turning off the trackpad entirely.  Didn't help.

I'll test with an external keyboard when I get a chance.

Thanks all for the suggestions,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

cedawson
Not applicable
Views: 26,345
Message 9 of 33

I have a T500 running Windows 7 (upgraded from Vista) and have had this problem.  A new driver for the Ultra Nav coma out on 4/22/2010.  I was able to download and install it (replacing the original driver from 2006) and I now have an option to disables the touchpad.  The "jumping" stopped and I now can type Word docs, emails, etc. without that annoying problem.

Lenovo should have resolved this issue a long time ago.

jerseyboy
Not applicable
Views: 26,311
Message 10 of 33

Yes!  My curor jumps when I'm on the Internet, doing a deep dive to the bottom of the page.  It also happens in Microsoft Outlook.  I can't get get Tech Support on the phone.  I'm not happy!  A tech friend told me it may have something to do with the Control key getting stuck.  I've played with that, and while it does have an effect, it doesn't fix it. 

jerseyboy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors