Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quocphantruong
Fanfold Paper
Views: 854
Message 1 of 7

display driver stopped responding and has recovered

There are many people having the same problem but not a single reply works

I open this thread again to look for a complete solution, this is error is quite annoying; and I really hope some one cold help us fix this though. I have this problem on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, (pls don't ask me to try if there is the same error with Windows 7)

Error:

Link to image

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

jayk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 767
Message 2 of 7

Re: display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Also seeing this on a new T460p w/ Intel + NVidia graphics and all latest drivers.  Happening about once/day.  So far no data loss - just a nuisance.

quocphantruong
Fanfold Paper
Views: 738
Message 3 of 7

Still no solution

Still no reply from Lenovo support

Great

Guru
Views: 728
Message 4 of 7

The following has been previously posted in the  ThinkPad P and W Series Mobile Workstations Forum:

‎06-01-2016 11:07 PM - edited ‎06-01-2016 11:17 PM

You might try turning off the Windows Fast Startup/Hybrid Boot feature and see if that helps.    

• Open Control Panel.
  • Select "Power Options"
  • Select "What the power buttons do"
  • Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
  • Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck "Turn on fast startup"
  • Save changes and reboot to test

Some drivers do not like being resumed, and some have reported that disabling fast startup resolved their issues.

If disabling Fast Startup does not work, and the error only occurs when your system is under heavy load, you might try following the steps below that I posed in another thread, which seemed to help somewhat in resolving the error. .

--------------------------

The "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message is displayed when Windows detects response problems from a graphics card, and recovers to the desktop by resetting the card.  

By default, if Windows does not get a response from the graphics card within 2 seconds, it resets the adapter and displays the message.    This could be caused by the system being very busy, low resources or a bad driver,  but you can adjust the "Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR)" timeout by editing the registry and increasing the TDR timeout to see if doing so will resolve your issue.

To Change the TDR for the Graphic adapter, follow the steps below.

• Right click on Start, select Run and in the "Run window", type:  regedit  and press return
  • Double Click to open the hive:   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • Double click to open the subkey:   SYSTEM
  • Double click on its subkey:   CurrentControlSet
  • Double click on its subkey:  Control
  • Double click on its subkey:    GraphicsDrivers

The full path being:    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro​l\GraphicsDrivers

• Right Click on Graphic Adapters subkey and select Export, give the file a name such as DefaultGraphicsTDR and save somewhere you can find it.    

Note:  This is just a backup of the current settings that you can import should you make a mistake or want to revert back to the default.     To import, just double click the saved file and follow the prompts, ignoring any "in use" warnings.  

• Now highlight the GraphicsDrivers subkey and in the right pane, look for an existing value called TdrDelay (most likely it will not already exist if still set to default)

If it does exist, Double click on it and change the value to 8  making sure that the Base is set to Decimal

If it does not exist, you will have to create the key manually using the steps below

• Right click in a blank area in the right pane and select  New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
  • In the name field in the left pane, type:   TdrDelay    and press enter
  • Now double click on the newly created TdrDelay key, and in the resulting window, enter the value of 8, change the Base from Hexadecimal to Decimal and then press OK

The change will take affect after a reboot.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
quocphantruong
Fanfold Paper
Views: 709
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your reply

Since I find does not work since I applied this solution before. However, I find out the another solution for my case, and perhaps others.

The problem is the graphic driver you obtain from Lenovo is not updated to Intel. However, if you download the lastest driver from Intel, you would not be able to install it with a message that your machine does not meet the minimum requirement.

Here is what you do:

1. Download lastest driver from Intel

2. Disconnect to the internet from now on and uninstall the current graphic driver. 

3. Restart the computer and start with "Disable driver signature enforecement - you can visit here for detail: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-s...

4. Install the lastest graphic driver from Intel you just download

Done

Hope this help for the guy with T460p

Lenovo is too lazy to update with graphic driver on their website - loosing trust on them

jayk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 705
Message 6 of 7

I just installed the latest (2016-06-01) drivers from Lenovo the other day... since then I've seen this error once, so that didn't seem to fix it.  It happens pretty infrequently, so I'm not inclined to try lot of different things to fix it.

What's frustating is sorting out the driver versions.  My Intel HD 530 driver is now 20.19.15.4416, which is completely different from the recent drivers on Intel's site (these are all 15.40.xxx).  Why on earth would these be so decoupled?  Who could possibly think that's a good idea?

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 693
Message 7 of 7

A lot of Intel drivers won't install on a Lenovo system.  They detect an existing OEM installation and bail out.  Sometimes with a cryptic message, sometimes not. 

Intel's thing is to get you to use drivers from your OEM.  But, as you've discovered, sometimes those OEM packages lead to issue like resets.

Another solution is to fresh install Windows.  With a fresh install, drivers from Intel will install.  With Windows 10 particularly, it will capture most, if not all, of the devices on a Lenovo machine and it will have an inbox driver for it.  Then, you can update the drivers directly out of Device Manager.  And not have to use Lenovo drivers, which often are not the most current. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors