Highlighted
el_bonobo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 188
Message 1 of 12

hard disk access after mother card is dead

hi,

I hope somebody could help me.

I had a T440 first generation and the mother card is now dead. I would like to recovery all my data from the SSD with an external box, but... disk access was protected by a BIOS & WINDOWS 8 PRO password.

Today if I try to reach my data by external connection, it's not possible even if I use a specific software

or in a second way, if I place my ssd in an other laptop (acer notebook), I have a kind of bios windows to enter a password, but without any possibility to enter the real and complex password (special key are not allowed)....

My question is: is my SSD locked by a mother card number or something like that? how can I access to my hard disk? What kind of password is waiting if I can not enter my Windows password?

Tanks a lot for your kind help.

Br,

Moi

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 161
Message 2 of 12

Re: hard disk access after mother card is dead

What kind of password is it asking for.  Is it the BitLocker recovery key?  Can you take a picture and post it here, maybe someone will have an idea.

el_bonobo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 148
Message 3 of 12

thanks for your prompt remply. It's seems I need a password to unlock the SSD but I don't know which one..20200121_181627.jpg120200121_181639.jpg320200121_181838.jpg2

el_bonobo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 143
Message 4 of 12

It's seems to be what you said "BitLocker recovery key". But now where can I find this information?

This old laptop was managed by active directory in my previous job, so If I find an other active laptop wich is running with this active directory, is it possible to find the number?
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 143
Message 5 of 12

Oh I see what you are saying now.  You set a password when the SSD was in a ThinkPad T440 but now you have moved the SSD to some Acer computer and trying to unlock it... that will never work.  The only way to unlock the SSD is in another ThinkPad.

el_bonobo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 141
Message 6 of 12

Yes, you perfect described my case. When you say I need an other thinkpad, you mean any other thinkpad, or a thinkpad use the same old active directory managment?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 138
Message 7 of 12

It needs to be ThinkPad from similar vintage.  Like T440, X240, T540, T440p.  T450 might also work.  Once you find ThinkPad like this, use it to clear the HDD password that you set.  Then you can install the drive in any PC (such as Acer) to access it.

el_bonobo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 136
Message 8 of 12

ok. When you say I need to clear HDD password, is it need to know the old password for that? because I don't know this password since it's not me who set it...

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 134
Message 9 of 12

So you did not need to enter a password every time you turned on the ThinkPad T440?  I'm not talking about Windows password, I mean some password at BIOS as soon as you turn on the PC.

el_bonobo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 130
Message 10 of 12

ok! so you mean I have to use the old bios password I had (I know it). I believed this password was linked to the old mothercard, and so not usefull with an new. But if this password is linked to the hdd, I understand I need it!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors