Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jude
Paper Tape
Views: 1,185
Message 1 of 8

help choose laptop

am ready to order new laptop and am sold on lenovo. however, cant decide between T400/T500 or R61. Starting small resell business; priorities internet, CD/DVD burn & copy; photos; LONG battery life (all day auctions); completely wireless (printer 4 in 1, etc); fast and rough and tough.  Any help out there?  I'll take any I can get! Thanks.

Retired Guru
Views: 1,169
Message 2 of 8

Re: help choose laptop

Hey jude,

[Cue Beatles music!]

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Welcome to the Lenovo forum. Smiley Happy

All those machines are good. I'm a fan of the 25W TDP P-series Core 2 Duo CPUs (like P8600, etc.) available in the T400/T500 (and very similar R400/R500), but not the R61. The P-series CPUs are very energy-efficient so they run cooler, quieter, and longer on a given amount of battery. For your purposes (no gaming or CAD mentioned) the Intel GPU is fine; that will give longer battery life than the ATI GPU. You could choose the switchable GPU, but I personally don't like that because then the Intel GPU can't drive the digital DisplayPort or dock DVI video.

More screen real estate is always handy. If your eyes can take 130 pixels/inch, then 1680x1050 on the T500 gets you the most usable space. I'd recommend T500 over R500; there are some significant differences.

Personally I find text on the 130 ppi screen a bit too small, so prefer 1440x900 (about 120 ppi) on the R400 or T400. The R400 and T400 are very similar. The R400 will run slightly cooler and quieter because of its increased thickness. The T400 is thinner and lighter and still runs very cool and quiet. You can choose between them based on price and your personal preference.

Unless you get a great deal on the R61, or have some specialized requirements that you haven't listed, I'd advise going with the newer series of machines.

Hope that helps!

-Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
TheDude
802.11n
Views: 1,154
Message 3 of 8

R61 is about 2-year old technology. T400 is nice, with a 9-cell it will run for hours and hours. You can get latest WiMax if you want connection all the time, and it is just enough smaller than a T500 that it is much nicer for travel (especially for airplane use). I'll second the P8700/P8800 processor. Other suggestion would be a SSD, but I suggest buying an Intel one and installing it yourself.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
jude
Paper Tape
Views: 1,094
Message 4 of 8

Hi Frank - Sorry it took me so long to reply to your response, but I had to stop to finish my MENSA update...

omg!!!! I think I had better start at Toys R Us and work my way up. Seriously, I appreciate the advice and your thread on the R500 vs. T500 was really helpful. I am going to try to order tonight. Hopefully I won't do anything that is too hard to undo should I make some errors. Txs, jude

jude
Paper Tape
Views: 1,091
Message 5 of 8

I thought Frank's thread on R500 vs. T500 had my dilemma solved, but now I'm stuck between the T400 and T500. Any thoughts to push me over the edge either way? Txs, jude

Lurkios
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,064
Message 6 of 8

Your comment about all day auctions leads me to believe you'll be moving this laptop around a lot. Based on that and your want of a long battery life I'm going to recommend the T400. It's an extremely convenient size, especially if you travel a lot, the battery life will be excellend and it's a decently powerful system as long as you have no real need of 3D graphics (ex: playing games - but then you wouldn't be buying a thinkpad).

At 1440x900 you're going to lose a little bit of screen real-estate over the T500s potential 1650x1080, but it's not a huge difference and I think you'll find the smaller size and lower power consumption a bigger plus.

Also, make sure you get a P series processor and not a T series for the 25w power consumption vs the Ts 35w.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,062
Message 7 of 8

The T400 fits in my back pack Smiley Happy  I belive it's a little lighter too.  The T500 may have an additional port - display port maybe?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Retired Guru
Views: 1,058
Message 8 of 8

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

The T500 may have an additional port - display port maybe?

Yes.

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors