Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkbicker
Blue Screen Again
Views: 657
Message 1 of 6

help! thinkpad t460p bricked after disabling intel AMT - no BIOS/UEFI

Hoping that someone on this forum can help me. I have a 1 yr old thinkpad T460p which is refusing to boot at all after setting Intel AMT to be disabled in BIOS - its bricked.

After making this change, laptop rebooted and displayed message "unconfiguring..." After that, it went to just a white cursor in the top left corner that doesn't flash. I left it for5 minutes or so before trying to reboot and now... I can't get anything except this white cursor.

The machine still seems responsive - I can turn keyboard locks on and off and if I do control alt delete I see the screen flash and then come back to the cursor so it is definitely rebooting.

I've tried rebooting and holding down F1, F8 as well as pretty much every other key on the keyboard. I've taken out battery and AC, held power for 30 seconds then plugged back in and its still stuck!

Does anyone have an idea how to get this laptop to boot again? I can't enter BIOS at all, just this white cursor in the corner of the screen.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 650
Message 2 of 6

Re: help! thinkpad t460p bricked after disabling intel AMT - no BIOS/UEFI

First, do you have warranty remaining?  If yes, call for service; don't take it apart.

If no, do the same thing you did (remove battery, etc.) plus disconnect the coin-cell (CMOS) battery.  You remove the back cover and it is to the lower right.  Let it sit for 30 seconds before putting it back together.  This will reset the BIOS to default settings.  DON'T DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A SUPERVISOR (BIOS) PASSWORD THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
thinkbicker
Blue Screen Again
Views: 644
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Rich - There's no password but unfortuantely I'm out of warranty. I'll try that and report back.

thinkbicker
Blue Screen Again
Views: 606
Message 4 of 6

Ok progress! Smiley Happy

Removing the coin battery did nothing to fix things but pulling the hard drive did. After removing SSD HDD I can now boot into BIOS. I've tried loading setup defaults, rebooting, holding down power for 30 seconds, etc but as soon as I put the HDD back in the machine refuses to boot to BIOS/UEFI at all.

At this point I'm working on the assumption that my hard drive is dead - but seriously what are the odds of this happening at the exact moment that the AMT setting was changed? I also tried enabling AMT again but this wouldn't let me boot.

I'm thinking to buy a replacement HDD and a USB SATA reader... perhaps with an OS booted the drive will spring back to life and I can recover some of the data

thinkbicker
Blue Screen Again
Views: 590
Message 5 of 6

So after installing a cheap 1TB HDD, I was able to install a fresh OS and start rebuilding the laptop and everything seems fine.

The SSD on the other hand is dead-as. I bought a USB<-->SATA connector and it doesn't recognise the drive at all so I guess it really did happen to die at the exact moment the switch was changed unless anyone thinks I'm missing anything. I'm going to try the 20 minute power-only then reset trick to see if I can coax the SSD to life for long enought to copy data off it.

If you have a thinkpad that seems bricked with a non-flashing cursor in top left corner and no BIOS, perhaps your hard drive has died...

otheos
802.11n
Views: 568
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the update.

If you are in the process of looking for an SSD, just know that you can install an NVMe PCIe SSD using the caddy from the T470p. 

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors