cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dreachem
Punch Card
Views: 420
Message 1 of 11

how do I create a recovery/rescue disks?

I need to create a set of recovery/rescue disks for my laptop. Its a Windows 8 T530 laptop. I can't find any software provided by Lenovo for doing this. What do I do?

Thanks.

memilanuk
Punch Card
Views: 407
Message 2 of 11

Re: how do I create a recovery/rescue disks?

Not sure about Windows 8... but in 7 if you type in 'recovery disk' you should get some options provided by the OS.

Also in 7... if you open the Lenovo ThinkVantage Tool, it should have an option for making recovery disks.  I would presume that would remain largely the same under 8.

HTH,

Monte

dreachem
Punch Card
Views: 402
Message 3 of 11

@memilanuk wrote:

Not sure about Windows 8... but in 7 if you type in 'recovery disk' you should get some options provided by the OS.

Also in 7... if you open the Lenovo ThinkVantage Tool, it should have an option for making recovery disks.  I would presume that would remain largely the same under 8.

HTH,

Monte

I'm not able to find the ThinkVantage Tools for Windows 8. I did a search, and Lenovo's Rescue and Recovery applciation seems to only be for Windows 7 but not Windows 8. Can anyone confirm this?

I attempted to create a recovery disc through the tool provided by Windows 8 in control panel, but it gave an error any time I opted to create recovery CD/DVD rather than USB flash drive.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 399
Message 4 of 11

This article should help: 

Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

dreachem
Punch Card
Views: 390
Message 5 of 11

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

This article should help: 

Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload

Z.

Thanks. This procedure apparently requires a min. 16 GB USB stick, which I don't have. I wanted to create a set of recovery DVDs instead. When I attempted to do so, it gave an error.

Does anyone know if I call Lenovo and request the recovery discs, will they send them to me? My laptop is still under warranty.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 386
Message 6 of 11

With any hardware issue and DVD creation etc they are your 1st point of contact. The forum is not a warranty call substite as so many seem to think. Many issue if known can be resolved by the technicial (assume he/she is knowledgeable) and can remote access you computer to test, check or configure a resolution.
You will need the error code if its does not work. Only on a call is a problem logged and case number assigned if unresolved.

The forum is fine for airing non support issues and configuration but you are taking the long road in many cases.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

SeniorGuru
Views: 378
Message 7 of 11

@dreachem wrote:
Thanks. This procedure apparently requires a min. 16 GB USB stick, which I don't have. I wanted to create a set of recovery DVDs instead. When I attempted to do so, it gave an error.

Does anyone know if I call Lenovo and request the recovery discs, will they send them to me? My laptop is still under warranty.

Lenovo's documentation may suggest that USB is your only option but Google indicates that others have been able to use Microsoft's Recovery app to create DVDs, e.g. Windows 8 Tip: Create Recovery Media | Windows 8 content from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:

After clicking Next, you’ll be prompted to connect a USB flash drive, or you’ll see a list of available drives. If you’d rather use optical media (CD-RW or recordable DVD), you can click the link titled Create a system repair disk with a CD or DVD instead.
Community SeniorMod
Views: 376
Message 8 of 11

I'm somewhat suspicious of that page.  I've walked through this once on an updated Win 8 system.

The repair disk is only the repair tools, not the recovery image.  One can definitely create a repair CD.

You'll note in that page linked the "copy the recovery partition" option is not checked, and the size needed is 256MB.  No room for the actual image, just the tools.

I'd be pleased to be proved wrong on this one...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

SeniorGuru
Views: 372
Message 9 of 11

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

I'm somewhat suspicious of that page.  I've walked through this once on an updated Win 8 system.

The repair disk is only the repair tools, not the recovery image.  One can definitely create a repair CD.

On rereading the page I would agree.

Nevertheless, other PC makers seem to offer the ability to create a full set of recovery media on DVD, e.g.Creating Recovery Media for Windows 8. So this USB-only restriction would seem to be by Lenovo rather than Microsoft.

In any case 16GB USB drives are relatively inexpensive these days--I've seen them on sale for under $10--so this restriction shouldn't be too onerous for most customers.

Punch Card
Views: 365
Message 10 of 11

My primary motivation in all of this was I wanted to migrate the Windows 8 installation that came with my laptop to a separate mSATA SSD drive that I installed into the PCIe slot under the keyboard. Is it possible to perform a recovery onto this different drive (in effect, migrating the installation)? 

I know there are other non-free tools like Acronis that supposedly are meant to migrate installations, but I don't know if it will work to migrate from the HDD to the mSATA SSD and I didn't want to pay money for something that ultimately ends up not working. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors