07-10-2018 07:44 AM
I am interested purchasing a T480s thinkpad with 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor or i7-8550U. I want to upgrade the graphics card to NVIDIA MX150. WHat is the specific chip on the NVIDIA?
is it N17S-G1-A1 or N17S-LG-A1. Can someone help. I chatted with sales support and their answer was very vague. It seems there are two version of NVIDIA MX150 shipped with T480s.
Thank you for your help.
07-11-2018 02:33 PM - edited 07-11-2018 02:35 PM
Some comparison then:
- CPU: Both models supports i5-7300U, i5-8250U, i5-8350U, i7-8550U and i7-8650U. Other models aren't worth mentioning. T480s always utilize dual-pipe cooling solution, while T480 have single-pipe for iGPU and dual-pipe for iGPU+dGPU. There's no need to tell, that T480s with iGPU only have best multi-core performance and is able to (more or less) sustain it under prolonged load.
- RAM: T480s have either 4GB or 8GB memory soldered to motherboard and single DDR4 SO-DIMM socket, which supports up to 16GB module. In total it supports up to 20GB or 24GB RAM. T480 have two DDR4 SO-DIMM sockets and supports up to 32GB RAM in total.
- GPU: T480s can have either Intel Graphics only or Intel + NVIDIA MX150 Max-Q. According to PSREF, discrete models aren't available in EMEA. As for T480, there are similar two options, but MX150 is a "normal" version. According to PSREF, discrete graphics is available only on i7 models in EMEA.
- Storage: T480s supports only M.2 2280 disks. Either SATA3 or NVMe are compatible. Also it supports PCIe x4 speeds. T480 supports both M.2 2280 and 2.5" disks, but there are limitations. M.2 2280 disks must be NVMe (SATA3 aren't supported) and require special cable and adapter. Moreover speeds are limited to PCIe x2. Regarding 2.5" disks, both HDD and SSD are supported. Only disks up to 7mm high will fit. Apart from that, M.2 2242 NVMe SSD disk can be installed in LTE modem slot in T480. Can't say if T480s also support them.
- Screen: T480s supports FullHD and WQHD screens. T480 is also offered with low end HD TN screen.
- Battery: T480s have only internal battery, which should be enough for about 8-10 hours of work on battery. T480 supports Powerbridge, thanks to which you can install two batteries. With internal 3-cell 24Wh battery and external 6-cell 72Wh battery, you should get about 15 hours of battery life.
Please let me know, if you have any question.