Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palaeiil
Paper Tape
Views: 10,308
Message 1 of 10

lost supervisor password

hey, i was updating the bios for my thinkpad t450 and it asked for a supervisor password. I could not remember setting one up and previous owner did not want to help. i am in university, so i am relying on my laptop as everything is on there. i called lenovo, and i got transfered to hardware and then to software. the software department said we can fix the problem with an amount of money. however to my knowledge, it cant be fixed by software techs. i assume that she did not understand me, as she told me that they will send a usb so i can back my files up. i told her that is not possible, she told me the techs will help me and i dont need to worry

do you think that her solution is reliable? 

also if not what else are my options?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,281
Message 2 of 10

Re: lost supervisor password

Motherboard replacement or finding password are the only choices

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Palaeiil
Paper Tape
Views: 10,278
Message 3 of 10

Would Lenovo provide discount for the motherboard or will it be at the normal price even with warranty. Since it won't be covered.   

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,270
Message 4 of 10

I would not expect a discount, but you can certainly ask.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Palaeiil
Paper Tape
Views: 10,248
Message 5 of 10

Thank you Smiley Happy
Termsofservice
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,207
Message 6 of 10

There's always the potential for a BIOS reset, unless they don't have that option on your particular motherboard. Also it could potentially be a risky process. In desktops it's usually an easily-accessible jumper that you switch pins on. I imagine a laptop is a bit different, and might come down to brute forcing it by removing a memory battery. It might be worth searching to see if it has/can/should be done.

Again, there can be potential risk in resetting the BIOS, so just bear that in mind. Sounds like the safe route would be shelling out the money for Lenovo to fix it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,198
Message 7 of 10

There are no pins; no jumpers.

Rich

SeniorGuru
Views: 10,191
Message 8 of 10

@Termsofservice wrote:

Sounds like the safe route would be shelling out the money for Lenovo to fix it.

The main issue with that is cost. The price of a new motherboard approaches the price of a new notebook, especially if the current notebook is more than a year or two old.

A cheaper alternative is to look on eBay or craigslist for someone who's selling the same or compatible model notebook for parts. (Perhaps the LCD panel on their notebook is broken.) However then you have to deal with the risk that their mobo works, doesn't have a supervisor password, etc. You also have to be able to do a mobo transplant.

Paper Tape
Views: 10,175
Message 9 of 10

I think I will be purchasing a motherboard through eBay, since that's the only way I could actually make it work, and is worth money. I looked up the eeprom, but the newer versions of thinkpad use a model that can't be done by just resetting, it needs to actually be bypassed using software, the software and the jumper cost around 70 dollars, but I think purchasing a new motherboard would be a better option.

brett2403
What's DOS?
Views: 9,863
Message 10 of 10

i have the same problem.

I have puchased a second hand T450s and it has a BIOS supervisor password.

The seller is gone and I have no means of finding out what the password is.

The only solution I can find is from *******

has anyone tried this as a workable solution?

Moderator note: link removed.   Discussion of how to defeat security features is not permitted.  Please refrain from doing so or this thread will be locked.  Community Guidelines

Top Kudoed Authors