Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tryonix
Paper Tape
Views: 404
Message 1 of 5

prevent users access the BIOS on T520i and T530i

Hello,

In my business, we created supervisor password and enabled "lock BIOS settings" to prevent access BIOS on model T520i and T530i. But it's always possible to access on "read-only" to BIOS. How to prevent this access ?? Is this possible ? Thanks for answers.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 374
Message 2 of 5

Re: prevent users access the BIOS on T520i and T530i

It's not possible to prevent F1 from entering BIOS setup.  If this was possible, malware could exploit it and essentially brick the system.  One option you might consider, is the "Option Key Display" setting (in the Startup menu).  With this set to Disabled, then end users won't see the message during POST about "To interrupt normal startup..."  I don't know if this would help your scenario or not.  In any case it is always possible to press F1 to enter BIOS setup.

tryonix
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 3 of 5

Hello,

Thanks for reply. But, i don't want to prevent using F1 key. I want to prevent access BIOS when there is a supervisor password. On some bios, whenever there is a supervisor password, it's impossible to access BIOS, even readonly.

Thanks a lot.

is1981
802.11n
Message 4 of 5

Hi tryonix.

You got the right answer.  As , one of the most knowledgeable members of this forum, said it is not possible.

Why do you think it is safer hidding this information to end users?  Security through obscurity?

tryonix
Paper Tape
Views: 329
Message 5 of 5

Hi is1981,

In some cases, I think it's better to hide this kind of opportunity Smiley Wink But in this case, it's a choice of our national IT management. They call it a "good practice" !!

Thank you for answers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors