Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 9 (58,886 Views)

"Safely remove hardware and eject media" is very slow

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

On my T410s with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" function is very slow.

It need take about 30~40 seconds from me clicking on the safely remove hardware icon to the menu popping up.

But if I open the "Devices and Printer" in advance, it's only need one second to show the menu.

Is there anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

What's DOS?
Message 2 of 9 (58,471 Views)

Re: "Safely remove hardware and eject media" is very slow

Have you found the solution? I googled for a solution but I didn't find anything which worked (such as setting  "microsoft xps writer as default printer")

Highlighted
SCSI Port
Message 3 of 9 (58,457 Views)

Same problem here.. "Devices and Printers" also opens slowly. Setting the XPS Writer as default printer didn't help.

Serial Port
Message 4 of 9 (58,211 Views)

I am also seeing this issue with my T410. With just a single USB flash drive in my computer, I click on the Safely Remove... icon in the system tray and it takes anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds to pop up the window (or dialog if I double-clicked on it). My theory is that it has something to do with the DVD drive being asleep to save power and the system taking longer to recognize that fact.

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 9 (58,199 Views)

I have this problem as well, with a Lenovo T400s model 2801-CTO. The speed of the Safely Remove Hardware function is resolved by opening Devices and Printers first, but the Devices and Printers is slow. There is a suggestion to set the default printer to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, but that suggestion doesn't work on my PC. I have noticed when searching the internet for solutions that the only people that have this problem are using ThinkPads - so I'm hoping that Lenovo post a solution soon.

Lenovo Employee
Message 6 of 9 (58,190 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, this is a known issue of Lenovo Windows 7 preload system.

==============================================================

Symptom:

Windows 7 Lenovo preload

It will take longer time to show a list for removal device candidates than previous OS, when clicking "Show hidden icons" from task tray then clicking "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media".

Cause of the issue:

Windows 7 will start to scan some files in folders when click "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Due to this scanning process, it takes times to prepare a list of devices.

How to solve this problem:

Eliminating number of unuse files will shorten the scanning process.

There are lots of files for national language support of the Windows in

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore

Usually in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\MetadataStore.  It carries various icon data and resource data for displaying in some managing process such as defining printers.

There are "READ ONLY" folders like following:

cs-CZ      for Czech

da-DK      for Danish

de-DE      for German

el-GR      for Greek

en-US     for English

es-ES      for Spanish

fi-FI         for Finnish

fr-FR        for French

he-IL        for Hebrew

hu-HU      for Hungarian

it-IT         for Italian

ja-JP       for Japanese

ko-KR      for Korean

nb-NO     for Norwegian

nl-NL       for Dutch

pl-PL       for Polish

pt-BR      for Portuguese (Brazil)

pt-PT       for Portuguese (Portugal)

ru-RU      for Russian

sl-SI        for Slovenian

sv-SE      for Swedish

tr-TR        for Turkish

zh-CN      for Chinese (Simplified, PRC)

zh-TW     for Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)

Each folder carries 24 device metadata files except en-US carrying 26 files. Those file name will be "hexadecimal numbers".devicemetadata-ms.

Depends on your computing environment, there may be some language folders never used.  Removing those folders and files will speed up scanning process remarkably.

Note: en-US folder should not be removed.  There are commonly used files in other language.

Since those folders are read only, a following dialog will come up with attempting delete a folder.  Click "Continue" button will delete a folder. If you need a administrator access to delete, please consult your system administrator.

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 9 (57,856 Views)

In my laptop T410 with Windows 7 professional OS, only 3 files are present in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-US folder. I have removed all the other folders in the 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore' directory. Still the remove USB media takes about 15-30 seconds to pop up the list of removable media.

Let me know if there is some other way to fix this.

PS: My friend got a new T420 and in his laptop, the remove USB media works very fast (~2 seconds).

Punch Card
Message 8 of 9 (56,891 Views)

I would like to thank user summerxia for his proposed solution.

I had this problem of VERY SLOW response on a Thinkpad X200 tablet (running Windows 7 64-bit) when I clicked the  "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon in the system tray (it would take nearly 45 seconds even with a 7200 rpm disk drive). After *moving* all of the metadata folders (except for en-US) to a different location on my disk (NOT wanting to *delete* these folders so as to avoid causing other problems if they were needed for something else), the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" option now pops up in 2 or 3 seconds.

I also have this slow response problem on an X61 tablet that too is running Windows 7 64-bit. I will report back later if this same solution works on that machine as well.

I hope others who have wondered about this slow response problem on Thinkpads running Windows 7 are able to find their way to this thread.

--G.M.

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9 (43,355 Views)

If you are unable to eject media, look at  http://blog.notfaqs.com/2009/10/win7-safely-remove-hardware-and-eject.html  for one reason for this to happen and how to fix it.

Top kudoed Authors