Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sipik
Fanfold Paper
Views: 241
Message 1 of 5

reciclying windows licence?

Hi all,

I am the not so happy owner of an SL510, which sadly stoped functioning recently. However I decided to give Lenovo another try and decided to buy a T420. The laptop I ordered however has not OS installed. My question is whether I can still use the Windows licence that I still have from the previous laptop. I still have the licence number. I havent been a heavy Windows user in the past years and therefore am not well informed regarding the Windows licencs.

Thanks

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 238
Message 2 of 5

Re: reciclying windows licence?

yes you can. As long as the OS you are activating is the same version of the OS listed on the license. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Highlighted
sipik
Fanfold Paper
Views: 210
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the answer.

I have just taken a closer look at the sticker on the old laptop and it says: "Windows 7 Pro OA"

What does "OA" mean?

Googling for it I found different explanations in different places. It seems to have to do with hardware activation (if I understood correctly Windows gets some info from the BIOS and activates automatically). However, in my case I will have to use the serial number on the sticker on the old PC to be able to activate Windows on a new PC. But I am not sure if this serial number is bound to that that PC only (the old one), or could I use it to activate Windows on the new PC.

Also, the same Windows version includes the same language. More exactly, the old version was Win 7 Pro 64 in German. Could I change to Win 7 Pro 64 in English?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 195
Message 4 of 5

@sipik wrote:

My question is whether I can still use the Windows licence that I still have from the previous laptop

You can't legally do that.  The SLK version of Windows supplied with a mass market device (such as your ThinkPad) is attached to the particular hardware it is supplied with. and unde rthe terums of the EULA it cannot be transferred to another device.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 194
Message 5 of 5

@lead_org wrote:

yes you can.

No, it is quite illegal.