Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimbodkins
Paper Tape
Views: 154
Message 1 of 4

reinstalling preinstalled windows 7

I have a used thinkpad t420i that has win 10 installed but was originally with win 7 pro. I want win 7 pro which requires that I obtain win 7 pro sp1 from lenovo. (Microsoft no longer allows downloads of windows they didnt directly sell and suggest it must come from the vendor).

How do I download windows 7 pro sp1 from lenovo (to a thumb drive)? I cant find it. I cant find it. (I do have a COA for win 7 pro under the battery).

Thanks

Jim

jimbodkins
Paper Tape
Views: 97
Message 2 of 4

Re: reinstalling preinstalled windows 7

Dell actually has a tool to do this easily. I am a little disapointed that lenovo doesnt seem to. I want the original windows 7 pro (not the win 10 the vendor installed) and microsoft wont allow downloads with lenovo's SN and lenovo seems to have nothing. Does it exist and where is it?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 88
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

It doesn't exist - and never did - AFAIK.  You can call support and order media - if they still have it available for a machine this old.  Don't know Smiley Sad

If you have access to MS Win 7 install media you you should be able to activate it with your OEM key.  Perhaps via the automated activation phone number.  Or at least that used to work.  Don't know how MS handles that these days.  Sorry I don't have better answers for you.

If you do get a clean install from MS media you can find drivers here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

jimbodkins
Paper Tape
Views: 68
Message 4 of 4

I also have a dell laptop - and dell has amazing support (and support apps). I had previously dl'd win7 pro sp1 from dell for that laptop. (Flash drive) so I tried and successfuly installed the (dell) win7 sp1 pro on the lenovo. So I plan to get a backup win7 pro sp1 for a just in case install. Lenovo should take a lesson from this.

Jim

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors