Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
C_T
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 1 (236 Views)

synaptics unreliable trackpoint middle click bug

[ Edited ]

I found a software bug for synaptics driver.  I am using the latest: 18.0.7.40, 5/26/2014, windows 8.1.

The bug is related to unreliable middle clicking (not to be confused with TpScroll ), when the user middle clicks on the trackpoint, the OS doesn't register it.  It is possible this is a settings issue, maybe it's a "feature".  If so, can someone provide instructions on how to change it.

It seems the synaptics firmware will only pass a middle click to OS if the pointer moves at the same time.  I have not tried this on Linux.

To reproduce errant behavior I (this will NOT register a middle click)

1. make sure middle clicks are enabled in the mouse properties and TpScroll is off

2. make sure you have an application that works with middle click or displays L/M/R click state received by the OS (I am using X-Mouse button control)

3. with finger clear of trackpoint, middle click with thumb

4. OS will NOT register a middle click.

correct behavior should be register a middle click

To reproduce errant behavior II (this will register a middle click)

1. make sure middle clicks are enabled in the mouse properties and TpScroll is off

2. make sure you have an application that works with middle click or displays L/M/R click state received by the OS

3. with index finger on trackpoint, move trackpoint so pointer moves slowly (speed not important), and the middle click with thumb

4. OS WILL register middle click.

correct behavior should be register a middle click

To reproduce errant behavior III (this will cause a continuous middle click, until cursor is moved again)

2. make sure you have an application that works with middle click or displays L/M/R click state received by the OS

3. with index finger on trackpoint, move trackpoint so pointer moves slowly (speed not important), and the middle click with thumb and hold down, lift index finger off trackpoint to stop moving cursor, and let go of button.  (Pressing and releasing the middle button has no further effect.)

4. OS WILL register a continuous middle click, never receiving that middle click input changes.

correct behavior should be middle click is released as soon as the physical button has been let go.

Also mouse chords (for example left click and right click at the same time) do not work.

Top kudoed Authors