Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aseer
Punch Card
Views: 16,399
Message 1 of 157

t410s vertical band in my LCD

I have had my t410s for a couple of months, yesterday a vertical band appeared in my display.  A quick search online brought up this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM9_ZM_8qkQ 

which is exactly what I see.

I am about to lose my t410s for a couple of weeks (or so I am told by the Lenovo support rep), is this a problem that Lenovo is able to reliably fix?  (namely it is clearly endemic to the t410s as I have seen many posts on the matter, my concern is that their fix is just temporary until it happens again)  

Do others who see this problem find that the repair sticks?

btw, I have to say that the Lenovo return mechanism which required me to talk to someone I could barely understand did not help.    I used to love the Thinkpad line for its robust design (and had many), the T410s, which was not inexpensive, felt flimsy in comparison and having the screen die in such a short time is disconcerting (and seeing how many people are dealing with the same thing is a further concern).   

awjc11
Punch Card
Views: 16,382
Message 2 of 157

Re: t410s vertical band in my LCD

I hope you can get it fixed.  Yeah I agree that the tech support having a strong chinese accent 'doesn't really help at all.

aseer
Punch Card
Views: 16,368
Message 3 of 157

had nothing to with Chinese, just difficult to communicate with (never thought I would look to Dell as a standard for support but they impressed me much more than the Lenovo experience, especially their business support system).

After some more reading of folk posting about this I am getting more concerned that this not just a dud LCD and possibly a design flaw.  Some folk are postulating that there is a mechanical interaction with the screen or its connectivity that causes it to fail (said it failed while they were holding it).  If so, then I can anticipate a world of hurt as replacing the LCD becomes a stopgap rather than a repair.  Time will tell I guess but if others have experience with this issue, I would be interested to hear about it.

Volker1
802.11n
Views: 16,346
Message 4 of 157

Got exactly the same issue. I called for warranty support, and they'll send somebody on Monday (Thankfully I got on-site warranty). They seemed to know what part they need... will post more if I find out what the issue is :-)

Volker1
802.11n
Views: 16,276
Message 5 of 157

For the record: Technician came and replaced the LCD. Took maybe 10 minutes. Works perfectly now :-)

I asked him if he noticed anything about T410s displays failing and he was not aware of any issue with that particular model.

Former Administrator
Views: 16,257
Message 6 of 157

Volker1, Aseer,

We have seen some of these symptoms, and I feel confident that the replacement LCDs being used would conclusively resolve the trouble.  I hope that you will be able to engage service and get this addressed.

In the US, Technical support is based in Atlanta Georgia, so there should be no issues with accents.   Sales support, (if trying to make a return) does make use of a call center in India to supplement our North America sales call center in North Carolina.

Best regards,

Mark

aseer
Punch Card
Views: 16,243
Message 7 of 157

That is good to hear, namely that the lcd swap fixes the issue.  My issue is now intermittent, sometimes there (exactly as shown in the link I posted) and then it goes away.  Can I assume they will swap the LCD even if on boot the issue is temporarily gone? (namely, that they won't return it with a no trouble found response)  

On the CSR, it was someone in the US (Atlanta, like you say), just not a good rep for Lenovo.  

andrjam
Paper Tape
Views: 16,232
Message 8 of 157

Having the same problem. Lived with it for a month, not it's getting worse and worse. I'm very disappointed with the quality of what is supposed to be a tough stirdy laptop.

Last week I went to a Lenovo warranty service, they have ordered the LCD, just waiting for it to arrive.

I'm just not sure why would the new LCD (with the same Part number) have the same problem later on.

Thinking of getting rid of this laptop.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 16,192
Message 9 of 157

@andrjam wrote:

Having the same problem. Lived with it for a month, not it's getting worse and worse. I'm very disappointed with the quality of what is supposed to be a tough stirdy laptop.

Last week I went to a Lenovo warranty service, they have ordered the LCD, just waiting for it to arrive.

I'm just not sure why would the new LCD (with the same Part number) have the same problem later on.

Thinking of getting rid of this laptop.

Sometimes there are problems with parts that were not detected in the engineering sample. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
yianni127
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,158
Message 10 of 157

I have a T400S with the same problem. It took Lenovo 30 days to repair and replace the screen. (only 2 months old). Last week it happened again (4-1/2 months old). I called Lenovo to book in for a repair and told them I do not want it to take 30 days again for repair.

I am waiting on a reply back.

Lenovo told me that if it happens a 3rd time, they will replace my laptop

T400S 2801CTO Win 7 Pro 64 8GB

"Intel inside...Mental outside"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors