Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moreryan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,045
Message 1 of 12

t430s battery charge issue

As this is my first post,  Hello all! I'm a longtime Thinkpad user, appreciating my previous T60 and T400 for their repairability and durability. 

I've just bought a used thinkpad t430s, and I bought a battery for it as it didn't come with one.

My issue is, the battery worked fine the first couple times I used it, but now it drains instantly if I unplug from the wall.

After I restart the machine, the battery says 0% (charging), and after a short while (10+ minutes) returns to claiming fully charged (100%).

So far, I have updated the bios, installed the lenovo power management software, installed the lenovo power management driver, tried removing the microsoft acpi driver without the battery in, then turning off and trying to start on battery  (no luck turns off immediately as well, critical low battery error). I also did this thing someone recommended for battery trouble where you shut down the computer and remove the power sources, then hold down the power button for a minute.

The battery health is good, it has had three charge cycles, and this number isn't going up with my little drop downs to 0% and back up to 100% whenever I unplug the machine.

I would like help in figuring out if this is a problem with the battery, hardware, or software of the computer.

I am running windows 7 pro 64 SP1. i7-3520M @2.9ghz.

Thanks in advance! 

Ryan

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,034
Message 2 of 12

Re: t430s battery charge issue

Hi and welcome, moreryan

Is the battery Lenovo genuine, has Lenovo FRU p/n?
Have you get it from the Lenovo related store?
Could you make a snapshot of the battery surface labels with quality enough to recognize labels, symbols? As you can't publish images here, in the post yet, provide an external link.

Also, as your OS is win7 and I hope Lenovo Power Manager application is installed, what are the values of the second half of the battery parameters (manufacturer name and followed) PM shows in the Battery tab? Make a snapshot as well.

Answers and images are needed to understand whether the battery is faked since the battery for T430 should have HW authentication.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

paul_dethick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,011
Message 3 of 12

Sounds very much like a faulty battery, I have an eBay battery on my X61 and despite being only a couple of years old it is very tempermental.

So if it's genuine Lenovo I would suggest returning it and getting them to check it over, if it isn't get your money back.

moreryan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,998
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for your prompt replies.

I have bought the battery from a online retailer geographically close to me, http://www.battdepot.com/ca/ .

I did not buy it thinking it was a genuine Lenovo unit.

Here is a photo of the battery: http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l528/3672348/battery_zpsp58efrxp.jpg

And here is a screenshot of the battery health: http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l528/3672348/battery%20health_zpsxryebpk9.jpg

I look forward to hearing your ideas for finding the cause of my problem!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,993
Message 5 of 12

The battery is an obvious fake, w/out variants and doubts.

There are tens of symptoms and proofs - labels number, their placement, their сontent, symbols and bar-code missed, different parameters on the labels and on the PM screen, parameters mismatching on the labels and the ones PM reads from the battery controller, parameters contradictions PM reads (even between themself) and the genuine battery has (cause the smile) etc. etc.

Just external view says - it's a fake.
Compare with genuine battery image:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/~/media/Images/ContentImages/b/battery_81_plus.ashx

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

moreryan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,984
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for your input.

Specifically, I am looking for a way to discern whether my problem is with the battery (which has a two year return policy for charging issues), the computer, or my software.

I don't want to return my battery if it turns out the computer or software is the problem, but because this is the only battery and computer combination I have access to I am not sure how to troubleshoot.

Is there a way to be certain  the battery is the problem? Is it being fake certainly the cause of the issue?

Best,

Ryan

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,974
Message 7 of 12

Aren't the words about HW authentication (i.e.protection) feature enough to conclude: this faked battery isn't capable to work properly in the T430 laptop, there are no ways to troubleshoot the batery (not the software or laptop) charging issue?

Not a fake itself (or labels, parameters mismatching ...) is a cause. But HW authentication the fraudster (the battery manufacturer) couldn't realize. And not only this battery manufacturer, there are tons of such battery in the aftermarket.

Official Lenovo store is a better place to purchase the genuine parts.

moreryan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,972
Message 8 of 12

I am unfamiliar with HW authentication / protection function.

Are you saying that the battery authentication is fake, and therefore it is not possible to learn why the battery is not charging, and therefore we must assume the battery is the problem?

Thanks for your time in explaining this.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,966
Message 9 of 12

The battery HW autentication feature allows laptop BIOS/EC to determine whether the battery connected is Lenovo genuine. In this case it's able to be charged being connected to the laptop, otherwise, in the best case, the battery can discharge only.

Insert this battery to the previous laptop generation, T420s, w/out HW athentication feature. It might work w/out charging issue.

Yes, the battery is a problem, because of it's a rough fake.

paul_dethick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,958
Message 10 of 12

Generally for the battery to charge you don't need software. All the software does is manage the health and the lifecycle of the unit when the laptop is powered up.

When the laptop is powered down the battery if below a certain percentage of charge should automatically start charging. As a reproduction unit it might be that the chip in the battery is either faulty or not fully compatible. As you've got a two year return window I would get it replaced, try the replacement and if you still have the same issues get your money back and buy genuine.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors