cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrcairns
Paper Tape
Views: 829
Message 1 of 3

[t440s] Internal battery discharges first then shuts off. External battery does nothing.

Hi, I am using a t440s thinkpad with Arch linux installed on it.  The external battery was working fine at first but recently it refuses to discharge first.  The internal battery discharges then shuts the computer down when its empty leaving the external battery at full charge.

Running acpi -V on my computer it outputs the following:

Battery 0: Unknown, 100%
Battery 0: design capacity 6039 mAh, last full capacity 5672 mAh = 93%
Battery 1: Discharging, 98%, 02:16:50 remaining
Battery 1: design capacity 1924 mAh, last full capacity 1767 mAh = 91%

Battery 0 is my external battery and is labeled as unknown.  I updated the BIOS to the latest version and this did not fix this issue.

Guru
Views: 790
Message 2 of 3

Re: [t440s] Internal battery discharges first then shuts off. External battery does nothing.

You are likely going to be able to find more assistance in the Linux Discussion (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/bd-p/Special_Interest_Linux). 

A good place to begin your research may be into acpi_call and tlp .

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
mrcairns
Paper Tape
Views: 784
Message 3 of 3

Re: [t440s] Internal battery discharges first then shuts off. External battery does nothing.

Thanks, I installed winows on the computer and experienced the same issue.  After some further research I have come to the conclusion that the battery is faulty and will be replacing it.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors